460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stuff bought off ebay with paypal is supposed to have some amount of rip-off protection, is the same true if paypal is used on Racejunk?

·
Registered
269 Posts
As far as I'm aware, it is Paypal themselves who offer the protection, who are owned by eBay anyway.
Check Paypal's website.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Be careful with paypal's "protection", my advice is to link your paypal account to your credit card and not your bank account. I had a problem once and paypal told me that his paypal account was empty so they had no recourse until he tried to use his account again. After calling my credit card company I had a credit on my account within minutes and the collection issue became paypals problem.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
hallbros said:
Be careful with paypal's "protection", my advice is to link your paypal account to your credit card and not your bank account. I had a problem once and paypal told me that his paypal account was empty so they had no recourse until he tried to use his account again. After calling my credit card company I had a credit on my account within minutes and the collection issue became paypals problem.

Hope this helps.
Don't they kinda have you by the nads though?
You need a checking acct to get verified or you get a limited amount of transactions.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Phil said:
hallbros said:

Hope this helps.
Don't they kinda have you by the nads though?
You need a checking acct to get verified or you get a limited amount of transactions.

That's why my account stays limited, I will not give them my account number. :roll:

·
Registered
128 Posts
you can always do what we do. we opened another checking account for online/paypal things. This has very limited money actually in it. Then when i use paypal i select other "payment options" and pay with credit card.

nothing is fool proof, but this has worked well for me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. said:
Stuff bought off ebay with paypal is supposed to have some amount of rip-off protection, is the same true if paypal is used on Racejunk?
What did you get screwed on? I had a friend get shafted on a set of rims, that were on racing junk.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chuck said:
What did you get screwed on? I had a friend get shafted on a set of rims, that were on racing junk.
No problems yet, was just curious.

I bought some stuff off ebay even though there was similar parts (that were a better deal) on Racingjunk. Does Racingjunk have a feedback system like ebay does? I didn't really notice one.

Like cammer did I had already opened a separate bank account with limited funds in it just for card purchases on line because you never know what might happen.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Dave,
A lot of times on the junk, you can go by a sellers status in thier profile. If they are a gold member and have made a donation or payment for the items that they have previously sold, (shows average payment made) then usually I take them as an honest person. There is a forum section over on racingjunk that I was on one time and it used to have buyer feedback / seller feedback. Travis

Here it is:
But you have to be logged in to racingjunk under your account.

http://forums.racingjunk.com/index.php?sid=d8a9b19c02af51526aeff8e436d4ec82

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
This is a good question and my experience including other friends problems lead me to this conclusion.
When ever a major purchase is made with paypal, use your charge for the transaction because the charge card rules and laws apply. If you dont receive the item the charge can be contested this makes Paypal responsible to get it resolved. When the money comes out of your checking Paypal is not motivated as laws dont protect your checking acount. Notice how Paypal wants you to not use the charge card.

If you sell on ebay never give feedback until the buyer gives feedback. This will protect your rating to the extent of iunknown issues.

If you buy on ebay and receive a bad item the seller will usually refund your money after the item is returned. If you give them bad feedback they are not motivated to help you at all.

Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
Be sure to read the forums on the RacingJunk site and look under the scammers section. There have actually been some "Gold" sellers that have had less than desirable transactions. I guess that they had made some small transactions and paid the membership fees and obtained their "Gold" rating before starting their scams. The suggestion on the forum also suggests looking at the sellers profile to verify phone numbers, street address, and not PO boxes.

About Paypal transaction, I used it once to buy a service that wasn't associated with Ebay. I was trying to find some relatives for my dad and signed up for an online search. It didn't work when I paid and the email for problems and help line wouldn't work, so I disputed the transaction with PayPal the same day and they put my money back into my account.

Bill Mitchell

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Many 'experts' say to never use a debit card or bank #'s online (or even over the phone IMO). Use a credit card. You have a lot more protection from credit card companies and God forbid your bank info get into the wrong hands.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wanted to throw this out there.

Last time I paid with my CC through Paypal, they drained the few dollars I had in the account, then went to the CC.

Make sure all your money is out of Paypal before using a CC. That way if something does go wrong, all of the payment can be refunded through your CC company.

Paypal answers to nobody. It's under their own discretion whether or not they will protect you.

I have heard of Paypal giving grief to people who went through the CC company to get their money back. Suspending accounts.. stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
cammer said:
you can always do what we do. we opened another checking account for online/paypal things. This has very limited money actually in it. Then when i use paypal i select other "payment options" and pay with credit card.

nothing is fool proof, but this has worked well for me.
that is exactly what we did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts