460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I am building a 460 to install in my 66 Galaxie and have decided to go with the crites teardrop hood like the old Thunderbolt Fairlanes. I love the look of the ram air hoses to the air box. I am thinking about modifying an oval air cleaner to replicate my version of this for my single 750 carb. My thoughts were to stack two 2" elements together and wrap the external area of the elements in stainless to create the "box" and supply air through two large diameter hoses connected on the sides running to the core support.

I have a couple questions:
First will I flow enough air if I install filter elements on the air cleaner base using 4-6" diameter hoses from the core support.

Second would I be better off running with no element at the carb but installing one before each hose at the core support. Thinking of the cone style elements being used on the imports like a K&N.

Any thoughts or experiences would be great.

Thanks

Terry

·
Registered
175 Posts
That could work, I planned on doing somthing like that, but was going to try something like your cone style idea for filtes and going with a box from www.ramairbox.com , but time hasn't let me get that far yet. :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good ideas

I had not thought about the flat style filter with boxes, this could be an option. I like the Superior air flow stuff but I am looking for a dual hose like the old Thunderbolts, one hose to each side of the carb box from the high beam headlight buckets. The ram air box filter would be the closest to what I am thinking. I just have a really nice oval already and thought I would try to modify that. This car is mostly a Sunday driver so I also want to keep my headlights.
How do the cone style filters hold up to road spray and rain? I generally do not take it out in bad weather but in NY the weather changes every five minutes. My thoughts were to run the hoses from the carb to the radiator/core support and then install the filters between the radiator and grille without impedeing the airflow to the radiator too much.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts