460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight was good and bad. Only ran the 150 shot on the first run.
60'-1.8988
330'-5.1190
594'-7.2870
1/8et-7.7681
1/8mph-93.53
1000'-10.0019
1/4et-11.9270
1/4mph-120.02mph :thumbsup:
Not bad for a 5200# Stick shift truck 8)

Now for the bad-Launched on motor around 3-3500rpm and didnt go anywhere :icon9:

The starter guy was jumping around for a bit after that. I saw him dodging case pieces and probably trying to figure out what was leaking. Driveshaft ended up ripping off a compressor line to the airtanks so it dumped all 9 gallons of air almost instantly. I didnt even know that got ripped off till I looked under the truck. It probably took them about a half hour or so to clean up all that gear oil :eek:mg:

hp calculator ended up with
654.2 rwhp (probably close)
817.8 flywheel hp(Doubt thats even close)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Man is that messed up i don't think i've ever seen that before.Was that a Nodular housing,were you racing at Norwalk.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, not a N housing. I was racing at dragway42. I'm almost thinking I stressed it while taking it there. I may have had too much air in the suspension allowing the driveshaft to hit the 4 link crossmember and stress the bolts on the pinion support. Nearest thing I can come up with. I've never taken it to the track on top of the car hauler, and I had to air it up almost all the way to get it to go up there. Normally I take it on the trailer where I dont have to air it up much more than normal :? Dad almost ran a 9 sec pass in his ranger on a stock casting and his weighs 3800 pulling the wheels.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You were fortunate

I was at the track yesterday. A really nice 70-1/2 Z28 with a lot of nitrous sheared the wheel studs off the right side of the axle. The wheel and tire caved in the rear quarter on the car pretty bad. It took him a while to get the car stopped and when he did he was sitting sideways in the other lane at the 60' mark. I wish I had video. It had a 12 bolt in it and I thought that was a light too light for the HP he was probably making.

He had the heavy duty style studs on the axle. Do wheel studs shear very often? I know the track was hooking well as I ran a 1.28 60', the first time I have been in the 1.20's.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Sorry about the rear end. Just out of curiosity were you running a mini spool or a stock carrier ? I had a stock case come apart like that a long time ago , it blew shrapnel through the aluminum floor and made a lot of noise to boot :shock: .

I suspected the rear pinion bearing housing cracked because the stock carrier was flexing and led to mine failing.. I had discovered that happening and replaced the 3rd member 2 times before the big boom, but I just bought an after market n 3rd member after that problem solved.

·
Registered
60 Posts
MAN!

I have taken teeth off, twisted pinion shafts in half, broke ring-gear main caps, yokes, and so on but I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT! Trucks are killers on drive train. Good luck on fixing it! I planted a money tree at my house to help and I have nearly killed it :shock: .

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ky mustang said:
Sorry about the rear end. Just out of curiosity were you running a mini spool or a stock carrier ?
It has a detroit trutrac in it.
So you guys are thinking maybe it was just its time to go then? I guess I havent been easy on it, and that case has been in there for at least 3 1/2 years

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so I guess I'm looking at nodular cases now, but should I get an aluminum or iron pinion support? Somehow the iron seems like it would be better, but I dont know. I think the case I had was probably a 3.062. Its got 31 spline axles in it

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Dam, that looks nasty, man! I agree with the other poster, mount that thing on the wall when you get it out of the truck.....

Strange makes a very nice N case that's not too awful high $$$. I'm using it, and it's a very solid and strong piece.

It was suggested to me to run an iron Daytona support. I have had no trouble since in stalling one.

Greg

·
Registered
400 Posts
I used a set of Strange Pro-Street axles and Moroso wheel studs. After I filled out the measurements the axles were in stock within a week. One option for you. Sorry to hear the bad news, always liked your truck.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Fordguy545 said:
What axles would be decent and gotten in a timely manner if I twisted the ones that are in there at all. They are still stock axles, so those'll probably be next now :x
Moser has very quick turnaround and a decent product. We ran their 40 spline axles in our 815" Pro 5.0 car. Never broke one.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Another vote for Moser. I am runing their 31 spline axles, and so far they remain untwisted.

IIRC, their turnaround time was amazingly fast, and I had a custom flange made, too.

Great folks.

Greg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts