460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 78 ford F250 4x4 with a Dana 60 and 4:10's for gearing the problem is i keep blowing out the spiders gears in it.. i have bought a fancy rear end thats some sort of part time locker... i was told when i bought it. It would not break well it did... they said this would best for me.... it has four spider gears in it instead of to.... i was told a full time or a locker i could turn on off i would just break..... so i was wondering what i need to get to make this from breaking anymore this will be my fourth one to buy would like this one to be my last one.... also have a motor i am building now for it and shooting for the 500hp range for power so i need one to hold that amount of power as well... thanks for any answers...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
or just get a spool :) you cant beat a solid piece of metal for durability and simplicity :) theyre cheap too :)

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
you might have a bent housing you might want to have it checked or check it yourself. The rearend that came in my 69f100 was bent just alittle you couldn't see with eye until I pulled it out and checked with a string is when I found it went through 3 3rd members.But you can check it under the truck but you need to pull the 3rd member and axles.Mark where the axle center is in it at the 3rd member on the housing pull everything out.Get you some wooden dial pins you can get them at walmart in the craft department cut one for each end to fit tight in the bearing housing for the axle make a mark on the center of the pin so you know the center.Tie a string to 1 of dial pins pull the string through the housing to the other side pull it tight and tie off to the other.See if it is the same as the mark you made on the housing for the axle.If it off then the housing has been bent some how.Also check from where the inspection plate goes to see if it is closer on one side than the other this is to see if it is bent from front to rear.A housing out alittle can be heck on the 3rd member parts. Maybe this will help you some what.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts