460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left side exhaust manifold (stock cast iron) got a crack down the center of it this morning.

So I guess I'll be buying those fordpowertrain.com headers a little sooner than I had planned....

Just curious as to why this may have happened. Car has 2 1/2" dual exhaust with two rubber-mounted hangers on each pipe; one just ahead of the rear axle, and another at the back just behind the rear bumper. Cherry Bomb glasspacks.

Thanks--

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose there is no sense in trying to weld it for the time being?

I just dug up my coffee can in the back yard, and it appears the wife has already cleaned it out. :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never had a manifold crack before, and when it went this morning, the way that exhaust note changed freaked me out a fair bit.

I was looking at my gauges, looking for blue smoke, looking for an oil slick in my rear view mirror etc etc

It was definitely a "WTF?!?!" moment.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Unless the manifolds are an "irreplaceable" item, replace them. By the time you pay to have them welded or brazed correctly, you've got the price of a new set AND a repaired manifold......metal fatigue...it happens to the whole piece.
Rob

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a pair of cast iorn I will sell you for $20 for both plus shipping I know you only need 1 but I would like to see both go. Put them on the auction block early last week if you want more info have the numbers there.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um... yeah.... I'm a frickin' moron.

Manifold is fine. I mustve been cross-eyed today.

What happened is: The asbestos? donut (or whatever-you-call-it) between the manifold and the exhaust pipe just went AWOL. I imagine it got blown out the tailpipe and is lying in a ditch somewhere between my home and work.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Correct donut gasket replacement part number= Fel-pro 60201. If you look it up in the catalog, all it gives are 3 different dimensional listings. Don't understand why because there is only 1 size donut gasket for 429/460 manifolds, and it is for the early style like you have. Catalogs are never correct, especially for Ford stuff.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The Cherry Bomb mufflers probably set up a harmonic vibration that disintegrated the donut.
Yes, the frequency of resonance of the collector plenum area is equivalent to the tuning frequency of each respective side of the dual exhaust system. The cherry bomb mufflers are inducing a polyphonic reversion wave, further enhancing the self-destruction of the donut gaskets.

p.s. lol:D

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yes, the frequency of resonance of the collector plenum area is equivalent to the tuning frequency of each respective side of the dual exhaust system. The cherry bomb mufflers are inducing a polyphonic reversion wave, further enhancing the self-destruction of the donut gaskets.

p.s. lol:D
I said that in a joking manner. Anything is possible, but harmonics contributing to the gasket's failure is almost impossible.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ha! You're pretty good at making up stories... have you been hanging around my kids lately?

I hunted all over for this part yesterday, and nobody had them on hand. I even went to Car-X and the mgr. there quickly interupted with "we dont sell parts". Thanks for the help buddy. I guess your shop will never see me again..... They were soooooo busy with the empty parking lot, and just one car on a hoist.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
I think I got some hanging on a nail in the garage I will check, they are the soft ones if they are the bigblock units. I liked the solid steal ones when running manifolds they have them at most parts stores but they aren't listed for the 460's believe it's like a BBC dumptruck or something.

Edit just went and checked I only have one left and it is the soft one. Send me your address and I can mail it to you. Check the application I told you though, I really prefer the solid ones they never blow out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll have a coupla new ones by Tuesday....

Why dont you meet me at GLD for the Hunnert Car Heads-up on June 11th?

I still need some horsepower consultations.:cool:

The mother-in-law tore the damn latch off the passenger vent window today, for petes's sakes! :mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts