460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the group and even newer to the thought of doing an engine job. Just the typical DIY guy when it comes to cars but never done an engine job so I figured I do some research and join a good forum before taking on the project.

What comes of this will determine if I do the job myself with help from a friend, or reluctantly have to pay someone to do it.

Bought an old f150 with a blown carbureted 460, it ran low on oil and pistons are stuck to the block. I got a 460 donor out of an RV that claims to have about 60k miles.

My purpose for the build is to have a nice old truck with a strong/powerful motor.

Keeping within a reasonable budget of about $2k. What do you guys recommend for my goal?

If anyone has advise on parts needed, like a cam and lifters and things like that. I might have to keep the heads because of the budget. Like I said, I’m mechanically inclined but this would be my first “big” engine job.

The picture is of the engine that’s seized and done with. It was bored 30 over with some COMP internals. My goal would be to get it back to that state

Thank you guys in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
655 Posts
I'd start by like @pedal2themetal45 said... Pull plugs and see if it will turn over..then pop the valve covers off and see if there may have been some kind of valve train issue, like a dropped or bent valve. From there work your way deeper. If you can't see and damage yet, take off the heads off one at a time till you find what the issue is. Save all the good parts for the build of the engine that's going in it... Obviously the carb and intake are good, so you'll wanna keep them, if the heads and valves are good you'll wanna use them as well if they are better than what's on the donor. Keep the cam and lifters all in order in case you can use them... If you get the lifters out of order you'll have to replace all of them and break in the new lifters (you really don't wanna get into that!!). I'm suspecting that you'll find either a seized bearing on the crankshaft or at worst a bent rod. If you find that this is the issue, then I'd suggest just using the short block from the donor (block, crankshaft, rods and Pistons) then using the rest of the good components from the original engine after checking them out. As to how through you want to be with the short block before putting it all together is up to you. You can just assemble it as is, or you can freshen it up with new rings and bearings for better piece of mind. A rering kit and a set of bearing won't set you back that much since you already have all the components to assemble it all. Given that the donor short block is in good shape you shouldn't have any issues with this build.

·
Registered
125 Posts
+1 and is the first step in blueprinting, which adds power and reliability (which allows you to add more power). Take your time, take notes of everything, remember OCD is not an enemy in engine building, and have fun. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts