460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my 460 rebuilt, bored 30 over. HEI Distributor, Holley 750, Wieland intake, headers. It starts and runs for 30 seconds, backfires, and stalls. I let it sit for 30 mins and can repeat. I cannot keep it running long enough to even time it.

Not even sure where to begin.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sounds like it's running just long enough to run the float bowls dry. I would start with the whole fuel system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the Holley rebuilt and I have a Holley fuel pump. Carb 80459, fule pump 12-240-13
That file pump does 9psi and I know we need 6psi, what do you think about a fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is that the distributor you're running currently that you're referring to as an "HEI"? What's the rest of your ignition setup (Stock Duraspark box/MSD?) The run for 30 seconds then backfiring and having to sit sounds a lot like an ignition component getting hot and failing or losing voltage. Has this setup ever run in this vehicle or is it all new stuff?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old photo, I have an RPC HEI Ford distributor. All new stuff, I had a 400m and swapped it last month. I will go take a new photo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The fuel filter stays full and fuel is pumping through the carb if I manually press the throttle, This is why I was thinking over pressured.

·
Premium Member
9,123 Posts
I have been using that 130 gph holley fuel pump on my 570 hp 460 powered LTD for 8 years. 8 psi or a tic more. Never needed a regulator.

If you are overpowering your needle and seat(s) fuel will be moving out of the booster venturis choking the engine.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
475 Posts
I guess what you could do is remove a float level plug on the bowl, start the car and see if runs out of fuel. If it does then you have a restriction somewhere.

I'm using the Carter M-60882 mechanical pump without a regulator for years now. Starts off at 8.5 psi then settles at 6.5-7 when the car is warmed up. At the end of a 1/4 mile pass it drops to 5-5.5 psi and that is with 1/2" fuel line with a stock sumped gas tank.

·
Registered
138 Posts
well just my 2 cents but junk the flippin Holley, first of all there a pain in the [email protected]@ to get right, then they all seam to have a dead spot at the transition point.
check the following

is the power valve blown check you engine vacuum best you can divide the amount by 2 minus .5 10 inches hg = 5.0 minus.5 the valve you should have in there is a 4.5

has the primary plate been drilled for a check ball in the power valve area there is a small hole that goes all they way through the primary plate when you back fire it causes the power valve to blow that why back in the day we would slightly drill the hole to accommodate a bb on top of the plate gasket so when it back fires it seals up the hole saving you power valve.

run both fuel mix screw in and back out 1/2 turn connect a vac gauge to port vacuum and adjust fuel mix screws for peak idle,

if it is a vac secondary carb apply vacuum to the secondary's and see if it opens and holds.

holly's don't like fuel pressure over 8 psi but they will run not die

i would remove the carb and try a different one see if problem persist

make sure you have a good coil check the ohms and put a timing light on it and see if the spark dies

good luck bro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I agree with you. I had it rebuilt but I am leaning towards getting another Edelbrock and see what happens.

·
Registered
138 Posts
i ran the holy for years then i ran a pair of the carter afb carbs on a blower car and another i ran the edelbrock ill never go back to a holey unless its a full race application then the holey run great they like to run wide open but your problem could also be ignition related let us know your progress

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds like the HEI module or coil everheating. Did you retain the ballast wire when switching to the HEI or is it connected to a full 12v?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Full 12 volts but the engine did the same thing prior to adding the HEI setup. I really think my Holley is the issue at this point.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It may just be dirt, but it almost looks like carbon tracking on the top of the coil. Might try another coil.
Coincidently, I had a similar issue last week with a Fox body Capri. It would crank and run than shut down, if it sat a while it should start back up. What I finally found was the short section of fuel hose between the hard line on the frame and the fuel pump had been replaced with new fuel hose. The new hose had a fairly tight bend in it and was also more flexible, so it would collapse and cut off the fuel.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just had my 460 rebuilt, bored 30 over. HEI Distributor, Holley 750, Wieland intake, headers. It starts and runs for 30 seconds, backfires, and stalls. I let it sit for 30 mins and can repeat. I cannot keep it running long enough to even time it.

Not even sure where to begin.
Valve lash too tight

1 - 20 of 31 Posts