460 Ford Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
i had this happen once about 20 years ago and it was a mismatched cam gear and crank sprocket did same thing started then it ran real good and died off

·
Registered
17 Posts
well just my 2 cents but junk the flippin Holley, first of all there a pain in the [email protected]@ to get right, then they all seam to have a dead spot at the transition point.
check the following

i would remove the carb and try a different one see if problem persist

make sure you have a good coil check the ohms and put a timing light on it and see if the spark dies

good luck bro
No they are not.. It sounds like you're just an edelbrock fanboi because you didn't know how to tune a holley.
People said the same crap about quadrajets, aka quadrajunks and they would run great when properly tuned.
It's when you don't know what you're doing you blame it on the equipment. sometimes it is, with no doubt.. If holley is known for anything it's warping.
Spark would be the first thing you should be checking anyway..and someone show me a 460 that can run off only fuel bowls for 30 minutes because I want that beast installed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
omg really ......... first off don't run your mouth about other peoples ability, you don't know me, and don't know my back ground, your make yourself out as a know it all snobbish *****, but fyi i am a engineering technologist in automotive build and design, I have 44 tech schools, i hold 13 ase certs, I hold a airframe and power plants lic I have worked with bounty engine a Connie Kalita company, I have done top fuel engines, carbureted and fuel inject engines, I have also been on the ford motor company product development team in Dearborn mi, and yes to the novice who hasn't learned yet,, holly's are a pita, its knowing how to take your engine activity and how your engine is running to translate that to know what and how to adjust the holly, same with a quadrajet, and for you to get on here and act as the god of all carb knowledge is bs, we and I and those of use that have the technical knowledge and know how are her to help those who doesn't have that level of understanding, so in most cases to a novice by simply changing out the part in question is a big help, now they know that its the problem, now we can look at what and why its doing what is doing and and take a informed process to correct it, don't be a @ick, btw where is your big tire blown fuel injected 1200 hp beast,,,,,,,, here is mine

·
Registered
978 Posts
Don't trust anyone who tells you a Holley is a p.i.t.a.... Anyone who can't tune the most popular carb ever made that 95% of the car building population can make work just fine day in and day out obviously has some kind of skill lacking, no matter how much schooling and degrees they have, or how many multiple choice ASE tests they can pass.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
First off as Lem always says. I do not have a dog in this fight.

As I get older I find that those who are secure, highly educated and competent do not feel the need to tell others. They let their work speak for itself.

Though a good quality casting Procomp heads as they arrive from the ebay sellers or even procomp are terrible. Decent exhaust port but small. Intake flows less than an OEM D3.
With some love they are a decent D3 replacement NA but ported early castings make better power NA.

Having stated that. In spite of a mis-engineered intake port the procomp heads seem to do quite well with boost. We have some reasonably ported PC castings supporting 1000+ hp (with dyno sheets) at the wheels. Similar numbers can be had with iron as well. I think is was 19# if memory serves.

Sub a set of AFR's and gain 200 to 300+ hp easily.

It is all a matter of perspective...

In my almost 20 years spent on these platforms I have strived never to misinform and share the evolution of my knowledge and understanding.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Manufacturing defect on valve guides. They shrank up on 4 exhaust valves causing them to lock and bend the pushrods. I get the engine back tomorrow and will get it installed over Thanksgiving. I will be sure to update everyone. The manufacture is coving all costs.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
31 Posts
Glad to hear they're helping you out with the costs on that repair bill!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got my motor back and installed. Runs great now! I would have never guessed value guides locking up values and causing this.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
31 Posts
Well at least glad to hear you had a successful resolution and you've got a strong running BBF!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts