460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
updated 11:02 a.m. MT, Thurs., Dec. 6, 2007
WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it is recalling 1.17 million trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans to fix an engine sensor that could lead to engine stalling.

The recalled vehicles are all from the 1997-2003 model years with 7.3 liter diesel engines, including the Ford E-Series van, Excursion full-size sport utility vehicle, and F-450 Super Duty and F-550 Super Duty trucks.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a posting on its Web site that the camshaft position sensor located on the engine could function intermittently and lead to an engine stall and potential crash.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sensor is an electrical component that helps regulate the fuel going into the engine.

Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said there have been 14 accidents associated with the problem, but no injuries reported.

In the event of an engine stall, Jarvis said drivers traveling at speeds greater than 30 miles per hour would have full power steering and power braking, allowing them to pull over to the side of the road.

At speeds below 30 mph, the motorists would still have braking and steering functions, he said.

Dealers will inspect the sensor and replace it with a new one free of charge. The recall is expected to begin around Dec. 17, with mailing of notification letters to be completed in phases by May 2008. Owners can contact Ford at (866) 436-7332.

·
Registered
967 Posts
well richter69 looks like we got our work cut out for us,this is the recall of all recalls,hopefully get some money into the shops though.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I saw that, finishing up a 4r100as I speak, I have 3 trucks that need egr and oil coolers, and one 08 with a destroyed motor......and a juice w attitude....that ones gonna get juicy :shock:

Pile it on, only thing that sucks is we get 3 whoppin tenths for replacing it.

S

·
0 Posts
We do a lot of Ford Diesel truck stuff.. Banks systems ect.. Tranny Rebuilds / Replacements.. I can't tell ya how many of thoses sensors I've replaced over the past few years.. Crazy that it took this long to say something...

On a side note.. I found the easiest way for me to detect a leaking injector was to pull the glow plugs and give her a slight crank.. the defective hole will look like old faithful.. I've had them pass the buzz test and cly contribution test but leak anyways.. (used the Snappy Scanner)

Just figured I add on.. hope it was OK..

Laters!

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Bad copper washer / lower injector oring will do it, along with a broken injector tip.

Got a million of those easy little checks lol.

I knew somthing was up when we got the new 15 dollar sensors............. :roll:

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Edge juice with attitude, crankcase full of diesel, keep on driving it, who knows.

We really dont have many issues with them, and for the life of me cant see why they gotta have more power........

Box was on it for a week, place that installed it said it was"Ford approved", we know thats a bunch of horsechit.

Problem is this company buys a lot of trucks, I'm sure the owner will say just fix it, but our warr numbers are pretty damn high so who knows. Gonna bring popcorn to work with me until this blows over..........

·
Registered
967 Posts
were sittin on 13 head gasket jobs over here,just finished putting a cab down on a 08 s/d,had to use a impact on the front bolts at rad core support,after spreading the cage nut by hand,had to pull the rad to gain access to the nuts,remove by hand my ***,can you say m-time.i havent touched a tranny job in about 8 months it was a reman r/r job.i do miss some of the truck trans stuff,i miss the torque shift recalls.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
When those front cage nuts spin (they all do) pop the headlight out and go get the mig from the bodyshop, tack the nut real good and its gravy from there.

I'm gonna make me a damn machine to take the cab bolts out, real slow and no hammering, like a real slow gear reduction drill or something. Those bolts will leave your *** wore out for sure. I go get all the oil rack boys to come and line up and each gets to twist one out, or recieve an *** whippin'............. :wink:

·
8,522 Posts
MAN...back in the old days all that had to be done to get home was ....use the match book to set the points , change 3 spark plugs and fix 3 flats...easy ride home :lol:

·
Registered
218 Posts
richter69 said:
Edge juice with attitude, crankcase full of diesel, keep on driving it, who knows.

We really dont have many issues with them, and for the life of me cant see why they gotta have more power........

Box was on it for a week, place that installed it said it was"Ford approved", we know thats a bunch of horsechit.

Problem is this company buys a lot of trucks, I'm sure the owner will say just fix it, but our warr numbers are pretty damn high so who knows. Gonna bring popcorn to work with me until this blows over..........
i just got an edge with attitude for my 06 6.0 will i have any issues with this thing? what do you recomend ? i just wanted to wake it up a little and get better gas mileage. i was just gonna put in a k&n air filter with stock exhaust and was told just to keep it in the tow setting for normal driving.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I would not sweat it, dont mess with the [email protected], it will do more harm than the box. Might replace the muffler with a better unit, its the most restrictive part of the exhaust system, leave the cat. Keeping it in the lower levels is ok, if its an older box they are hard on the tranny. The newer ones (platinum) are much better.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
richter69 said:
I would not sweat it, dont mess with the [email protected], it will do more harm than the box. Might replace the muffler with a better unit, its the most restrictive part of the exhaust system, leave the cat. Keeping it in the lower levels is ok, if its an older box they are hard on the tranny. The newer ones (platinum) are much better.
I am wanting to go with a 5" exhaust. I was wanting turbo back but I think I am just going to go catback. I love my 07 6.0 it gets 18 mpg now and ran a 10.30 @ 67 mph in the 1/8 mile!! Bone stock! The only thing that get's on my nerves is defueling when you floor it from a dead stop. Turbo lag is one thing, defueling is another. Truck just sits there and doesn't move almost.

·
Registered
967 Posts
hey jon,give them an *** wippin first that whay they'll apreciate the body bolts.boy id realy like to get a hold of the harvard/yale dope smoke'in engineers that designed the new super duty and beat the livin crap out of them.they may have it on paper,but lost out big time on comon sense

D

·
0 Posts
jones said:
richter69 said:
I am wanting to go with a 5" exhaust. I was wanting turbo back but I think I am just going to go catback. I love my 07 6.0 it gets 18 mpg now and ran a 10.30 @ 67 mph in the 1/8 mile!! Bone stock! The only thing that get's on my nerves is defueling when you floor it from a dead stop. Turbo lag is one thing, defueling is another. Truck just sits there and doesn't move almost.
I have the same problem with my 06' it runs good but it a flat out pig out of the hole !?!?!? Any fixes for this? That don;t void my warrenty...... :roll:

·
Registered
240 Posts
dfree383 said:
jones said:
richter69 said:
I have the same problem with my 06' it runs good but it a flat out pig out of the hole !?!?!? Any fixes for this? That don;t void my warrenty...... :roll:
Change your turbo, that there is a lot of turbo lag with that thing.

As far as the 7.3 liter recall, I thought Ford did a good thing already by knocking the cost of the cam sensor way down. Every 7.3 liter I've owned (powerstroke) has had a CPS go bad, it's a 10 minute fix, well, 20 for my 01 since it had dual alternators. Any way, I think the 7.3 is one of the most dependable diesels out there, the only common problem I know of and have experienced for myself is the CPS, which isn't that bad. i'm sure others have had bad experiences though, I am just lucky I guess.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts