460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good brand and price on a cylinder bore gauge? I'm going to step up from using Plasticgauge finally. I want something that can do the 2.2 rod journals, crank journals, and the cylinder bores.

Let me know what you use.

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
What is a good brand and price on a cylinder bore gauge? I'm going to step up from using Plasticgauge finally. I want something that can do the 2.2 rod journals, crank journals, and the cylinder bores.

Let me know what you use.
What's your budget and how acurate do you want it to be?

·
Registered
440 Posts
What's your budget and how acurate do you want it to be?
Great question! You can get cheaper digital stuff for a hundred or so, but they only measure out to the thousandths, and may not be as reliable (often the cheap stuff will give you different readings on the same measurement each time), while the stuff a good engine builder needs is at least $250 if you catch it on sale.

I recommend checking out Enco, Goodson, and other machinist supply catalogs. They often have sales. Enco does for sure.

Check out their price on the Mitutoyo gages on the bottom of this page:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMKANO=219&PMPAGE=10&PARTPG=INLMPA&PMCTLG=01

Soon as funds come up a bit, I'm snatching one up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
you mean powerhouse tools are n.g???? whoa... not being funny i was getting ready to buy some decent measuring tools also....

o.k how about this.
who is top of the line...
and who is second.....

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
you mean powerhouse tools are n.g???? whoa... not being funny i was getting ready to buy some decent measuring tools also....

o.k how about this.
who is top of the line...
and who is second.....
In my book, Starrett is still the top of the line,,,,,,as for who's second, I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
im a millwright and we use mostly Starrett there are some other that are good to. the Mitutoyo is good tools if not better in my book. i seen that they had a tool that on a rod to check the bore and i think it was a Mitutoyo

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
We use a Sunnen dial bore gauge in our shop when finishing cylinder bores. It's accurate and easy to read and set.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I have had a Mitutoyo for over 15 years 2-6 inch range and it's been a good tool. I have a Fowler that I have for under two inch bores. It seems not to be as good of quality as the Mitutoyo.

Mine reads to one tenth of a thou. .0001

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I'll check out the Enco site again. I didn't realize the Mitutoyo stuff was good.

I saw a Fowler online today for about a hundred bucks or so. I don't mind spending a few hundred on one if it'll save that much money down the road...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the Fowler economy one that is right around $100, it goes from 2-6". For checking bearing clearances it work good, but it only measures 0.0005.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts