460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1971 429 that is hurt, worn main bearing and a broken skirt and ring. It has D0vE C heads. Everything was unmolested prior to tear down, never been apart. I am simply trying to buy some time with this motor, in hopes of building something bigger and better in the future. Please keep in mind that this is going to be a pretty low budget rebuild, with some mismatched components, so I don't have high expectation on making big power. I do however, want it back together in the most reasonable way possible, and I don't want it to be a complete boat anchor. The block, crank and heads are at the machine shop waiting to be inspected. With that said, here is a list of parts that I currently have.

Performer intake (not an RPM)
Edelbrock AVS 2 carb
Comp cams 280H-- 230 duration at .050/ 530 lift/ 110 lsa
1.75 primary tube engine swap headers (basically block huggers)
Pertronix module in stock distributor

Without getting into a full on custom build, can anyone suggest an off the shelf piston for this application? Can I get away with 12.7cc reliefs? Would this cam blead off enough DC to allow it to run on 92 pump gas? Am I a fool to keep the stock 3.59 crank? My thoughts are I could possibly upgrade cylinder heads in the future, if the bottom end warranted it. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks,
SHMO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added:

This is a non daily driven truck, "hot rod". It's roughly 3700-3900 pounds. C-6 that will get 2200-2500 stall, 4.10 R&P with 29" tall tires.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Added:

This is a non daily driven truck, "hot rod". It's roughly 3700-3900 pounds. C-6 that will get 2200-2500 stall, 4.10 R&P with 29" tall tires.
The issue with the 429 is the "shelf stock" pistons that are available(AutoTec, Icon, S/Pro) are all a 'flat-top' and with DOVE castings, that sends the C/Ratio out of pump gas territory for most. You could have a 'dish' machined into those pistons for some extra $. I would lean towards a 3.85/460 crank if you can. Icon catalogs a 'dish' piston that could possibly work out on the C/Ratio with the DOVE castings. That camshaft is FAR from optimal. A custom grind would be a better route to take. What year of truck are you putting this combo in? Steve..................

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's going into a 56 F100. It will mostly be used for Rod runs and occasional street driving. I realize now, that the Cam selection is far from optimal. I have to thank the rep at Comp Cams for that recommendation. However, I did tell him that I wanted a somewhat rowdy sounding idle, so there ya go....

My initial thought was the duration of this cam, might bring the Dynamic compression down to a point, that I could get away with the higher static compression from using flat tops. However, I am FAR from a gearhead, and I can't find any info that supports my thought. Fab work and sheet metal is my forte, so I am really appreciating all the info I am gathering here.

I think swapping to a 460 crank seems to make the most sense. Other than dropping the crank in, and using 460 pistons, is there anything else that needs attention? Obviously, I would want to stick with an internally balanced crank? Other than Summit and Jegs, is there better sources? I have looked locally for stock parts, but nothing has turned up, so I am assuming an aftermarket crank might be my easiest option.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's going into a 56 F100. It will mostly be used for Rod runs and occasional street driving. I realize now, that the Cam selection is far from optimal. I have to thank the rep at Comp Cams for that recommendation. However, I did tell him that I wanted a somewhat rowdy sounding idle, so there ya go....

My initial thought was the duration of this cam, might bring the Dynamic compression down to a point, that I could get away with the higher static compression from using flat tops. However, I am FAR from a gearhead, and I can't find any info that supports my thought. Fab work and sheet metal is my forte, so I am really appreciating all the info I am gathering here.

I think swapping to a 460 crank seems to make the most sense. Other than dropping the crank in, and using 460 pistons, is there anything else that needs attention? Obviously, I would want to stick with an internally balanced crank? Other than Summit and Jegs, is there better sources? I have looked locally for stock parts, but nothing has turned up, so I am assuming an aftermarket crank might be my easiest option.
The cranks available through Summit(Scat & Eagle) are 'externally' balanced pieces. For your build externally balanced would be fine. Check with your machine shop that your going to use and see if they can source you a factory crank. The early "2Y" internal balance cranks in our region are drying up!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The cranks available through Summit(Scat & Eagle) are 'externally' balanced pieces. For your build externally balanced would be fine. Check with your machine shop that your going to use and see if they can source you a factory crank. The early "2Y" internal balance cranks in our region are drying up!
I can just switch to an externally balanced crank? Wouldn't I have to change anything else? Is everything identical, meaning pilot holes flexplates, harmonic balancer, etc? What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Where are you located? I have a stock 460 crank, rods and pistons out of an 85 truck motor you can have if you are somewhere near south east Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you located? I have a stock 460 crank, rods and pistons out of an 85 truck motor you can have if you are somewhere near south east Pennsylvania.

I am located in NW Washington state. That is probably a little farther than I would want to ship one, but thank you for the offer.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
That's a bit of distance, good luck

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can just switch to an externally balanced crank? Wouldn't I have to change anything else? Is everything identical, meaning pilot holes flexplates, harmonic balancer, etc? What am I missing here?
The flexplate & the crankshaft damper spacer would have to be changed. The damper's will interchange.........Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get a hold of Scotty (themadporter). He's in the Tacoma area, should be able to help you out.
I have reached out to Scotty a couple times. His shop is only a few hours away from me. The first time I contacted him was regarding a crate engine to buy, but unfortunately he was about 6 months out, and I am just a little too anxious to wait that long...haha. He offered another engine that he had on hand, but it was just beyond my needs, so I couldn't justify it. The second time I reached out to him about buying some parts (custom curved distributor and possibly a crank or other engine parts to get my current setup back together). Unfortunately, no reply from him that time, and I don't want to push. Granted, I would liked to have spent some money with him, but I am sure he is just super busy with much bigger projects. I totally get that.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Don't be afraid to poke Scotty again, he gets a bunch of emails and they sometimes get lost in the either, happened to me once or twice. He's a class act and won't beat you up for persistence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't be afraid to poke Scotty again, he gets a bunch of emails and they sometimes get lost in the either, happened to me once or twice. He's a class act and won't beat you up for persistence.

I wasn't going to reach out again, simply because I didn't want to be, "that guy". I will shoot Scotty another message. Thanks for your suggestion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts