460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So upon removing my head gasket I found that cylinder #3 had been knocking for a while (probably due to the leak) and developed 2 dimples as a result.
So my next question is it worth it to replace just the one piston? All the others are perfectly fine and it's quite spendy to do all 8. I know it's better in the long run, but I'm just looking to get it running again for now
20200617_211855.jpg

Second question, will a 0.002 oversized piston fit? Car has 107k on it, haven't got the tools to measure the cylinder diameter.
Basically just wondering if I can get away with 1 or is it going to be an issue if I don't do all of them?
This is not the last part that needs to be replaced on this motor so the more money I need to spend the longer it's going to have to sit.

*Edit : forgot to clarify, if I pull the piston it is getting new rings and bearings as well, which compounds the price if I do 8

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's got those two big divets in them. One other mechanic said it's probably fine to run but I'm worried about melting a hole in it

·
Registered
370 Posts
Unless those are a lot deeper than the photo shows I would have no problem running that piston.

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
The only issue I see here is that those are the original high compression 11 cc dished pistons.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little bit better picture with scale.
20200620_205325.jpg

The deeper one is about level with the valve relief from the top. Another mechanic said the piston will be ok for now to run. Hopefully I can get away with it for a while, this car still needs exhaust manifolds, possibly an intake manifold, and a distributor. At least this takes a pretty good hit off my wallet for now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
run it Dremel it or not it appears to be fine fix the DETONATION if you put a piston in it you will do the same thing if you don't get rid of the pre ignition what does the plug look like

1 - 10 of 10 Posts