460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeing how there has been some disrespect shown towards one of "the dudes" i figured i'd start a thread showin respect to the pro's of this website. yall know who you are.
I was just curious how it got to where it is now for you guys in the engine world...how it started, where you worked, etc...
i'm sure its not news to some but to many (myself included) dont know the story behind the guru's and really i'm curious.

Brent.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Cool thread, I would like to know too!!

Bill

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do i have to post names????
the Evans', Scotty J, Randy M, Carl, Paul, Dfree, i know Barry R is on here sometimes....???? i just know i'm probably forgetting someone.....:(

·
Registered
440 Posts
I agree, excellent idea for a thread. Hope the "big guys" all pitch in.

I would also ask if they have advice for someone wanting to do what they do, be it starting off, or how to be successful, and what they would warn others not to do.

I know that's vague, but we have a full range of successful engine builders, car builders, racers, engineers, etc., so whatever advice they have for others wanting to either be better or turn their hobby into a more serious pursuit, I'd like to have it.

I apologize if that's hijacking a thread, but I thought it would be right along with what the thread's about.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Great post dude!.....I don't know if they call themselves "experts" are "will" call themselves experts but I also know of a few that don't own a business that are kick *** in this same aspect and I also know I am leaving out a bunch off the top of my head but I think the coug, fabion, and ol' frank merkyl have a ton of knowledge and experience under there hat racks also. Yesterday, I was junkyard jeweling and all I can figure is my cellphone accidently called frank! (front pocket, and up against vehicles)....I shot the breeze with him on the 600c.i engine of his and he seemed "disappointed" at ONLY 185 MPH!!!:eek: I thought to myself Jeez!!......Only 185??!!......His response was "a little more tuning and i'm going to show those dragsters where the bear shits in the woods!" I was impressed and in awe anyways!.....Jon and Coug both seem to have a long history with this stuff to.......I aint trying to say these guys are "gurus"......just that I respect them as well......and like I said these are just a few off the top of my head.....Like my opinion means **** anyways...:cool:...I think All of us here contribute in some form, fit, or fashion. But anyway on to the Guru's........and how'd you all get so damn smart with these engines!!!.......anyone tried using their jedi mind trick on Lem for his cam secrets and one on scotty, paul, and charlie for their porting techniques???......:D:D:D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, looks like no one's gonna bite.. thats ok. just lettin you guys all know us mortals have the utmost respect for you as people, and what you bring to the table here day in, and day out.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Ok, looks like no one's gonna bite.. thats ok. just lettin you guys all know us mortals have the utmost respect for you as people, and what you bring to the table here day in, and day out.
Very well said. I agree 110% These guys have the "been there, done that" that can help us all. We need to be very, very thankfull for the vast knowledge of these folks.

That has been the thing I love about this site, I can learn something new EVERY day. :cool:

Bill

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Let's simply say it has taken all of 40 years of being in the buisness and working at or for a LOT of higher-end places to be privy to all the testing and other tidbits of knowledge I've picked-up.
AND, it doesn't stop there as I hope to learn at least one new thing every day.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Cool Thread, I would like to say Thanks to all the Guys that have helped me out, wether the are Profesinals, or the weekend warriors

Thanks

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Good thread! Yes, there are some guys on here that have tons of experience and knowledge. At a very minimum, it takes both to have a chance in he11 at reaching the level or understanding that they have. It also requires an inquisitive mind along with the god given intelligence to understand what you've done, what you've seen, and to make accurate conclusions from the results.

Although there isn't normally a lot of 'theoretical' stuff on here, I believe that they have it in their arsenals. Even with my mechanical engineering degree, I get lost in much of it. This engine building stuff can get very, very 'deep'.

So, please consider this a heartfelt thanks!!!!

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks

I too have had some "GURUS" help me along the way. To name a few, Damon Sea, Lem, Charlie, Blake Cartwright, Randy, David, Dan and Bruno. I can't count the number of people who have encouraged me along the way. It's nice to know that there are people out there willing to basically save you tens of thousands of dollars to share their mistakes and accomplishments rather than let you blow up countless engines, etc, before you discover these tricks on your own. Love this site and what it stands for and all the poeple sharing their wealth of knowledge. Now, If I could just get enough money to build that stroker...

Kerry

·
Registered
792 Posts
Don't really consider myself a "guru"...
Kaase is a guru. Or Paquet. Randy might be a savant (that'll get him going :) )

I am just an old Detroit street racer. I try to get a reasonable handle on the technical aspects but still end up reverting to being a "parts tosser" at times. Turns out that engines cannot read, and sometimes you just have to try things...

Nobody in my family is even remotely into cars. Got into FE Fords because I got a '68 Torino 4 speed 390 car cheap - $350 - back in 1974. Ended up staying with the FE cars because I could not afford to change transmissions, headers or other stuff. Once I bought something I had to keep it in service because I had NO money. Like pulling empty bottles out of trash cans after games in college for the ten cent deposit so I could buy a pack of hot dogs to eat for the week no money. But I had a race car dammit.

After 35 years of floggin on the same stuff you get good at it. I had the good fortune to hold a couple decent jobs during the intervening years. Put me in the right places to listen and learn things.

Most important thing in this - or any other chosen path - is a combination of both desire and balls. You need to REALLY want to do something, and you need to be REALLY willing to take the risk of doing it. The risk of being embarrassed or shown up looks far tougher through the windshield than it is in the mirror. Took me a long time to learn that.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I always thought a "savant" was a guy like Einstein and I'm surely not in that class, LOL.

It probably has another meaning though which I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Seems as though the Gurus are modest too.

Well, you guys know who you are, and we all owe you a great deal of thanks. Most of us REALLY appreciate your help and experience.

Bill

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Don't really like the Guru term either. My OCD just happens to be fixated on big block Fords.

I've got a little history here: http://www.carsbycarl.com/About_Carl.html

To expand a little. I grew up outside Detroit. Father worked for Ford Motor for 44 years. My addiction to the 385 series started in the 70's when he brought home a Lincoln with a 460. I'm largely self-tought. Had some friends connected with Rousch when I was young, hung around Redford Speed a bit and spent most summer nights on Telegraph road with a 78 Mercury that I dropped a 429 into. Those Fox bodies never saw it coming.

I have a 73 Montego GT with a 429 now, but truth be told.....I get more enjoyment out of building engines/cars than I do driving or racing them.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts