460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is the result I had at the Summit Finals Race of Champions in Fallon, NV the last weekend in September.

I hope I did the attached pictures right.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12743&d=1224568281

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12742&d=1224568239

I ran the test and tune the two days before and went 3 rounds in Jackpot race. Then the Race of Champions where I got through the first round to then race the second round. On the launch, I felt something go that felt like a rocker arm came off and was running on 7 cylinders. I stayed in it (because it's the Race of Champions that gets you to the Finals in Pomona). At 1/8th mile I lifted momentarily after seeing some smoke but thought what the heck. Got back on it just to get sideways (as described by friends at start line) I then realized it was a lost cause and lifted which then the oil went forward in the pan and out the gaping hole making my car disappear in smoke sending out the safety safari thinking there was fire. But in reality I pulled to the side getting the car stopped with the rear tire tracking in oil just past the finish line. Yes I finished the pass with the rod like that doing 14.4 at 52 mph.

Guess I can turn the rod end into a clock holder
[/img]

·
Registered
125 Posts
:( Do you think you will ever figure out what caused this? I have the evil twin to that rod and piston at home on the shelf, broke the exact same way, rod right up next to the piston and the other end still bolted to the crank and spinning good. Mine broke so many other parts I couldn't tell what broke first. Where those Ford rods with ARP bolts if so it's the same thing I was using. Good Luck getting back together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they were stock rods with ARP bolts. Ran the engine 3 seasons shifting the car around 5400 rpm. Should have been fine we thought. Guess I should have spent the extra $400 or so for good rods.

I thought it was a lost cylinder at first until half track and when you are in a race to get to the finals at Pomona during the last Pro Race, I think that is something to shoot for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts