1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >> Return to Index

Retarded timing sets
December 9 2001 at 7:28 PM
No score for this post Michael (no login)
from IP address 66.30.104.231

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know why Ford made the timing chains on smog era big blocks retarded 8 degrees? If the timing chain is swaped for a non retarded set, any guess on the benefits? Would this change alter the torque and HP curve? If so, how much?

Thanks,

Michael

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Author Reply
Walt Barnes
(no login)
4.33.181.188 Less emissions, less torque, more high end
No score for this post December 9 2001, 9:51 PM

The retarded cam helped with emissions. In general, retarding a cam reduces low RPM torque and increases high RPM horsepower. But, 8 degrees is a pretty huge retard. Although the exact effect will depend on cam and heads, expect the retarded timing set to reduce torque by 20 to 50 ft/lbs below 4000 RPM, and increase HP above 5000 RPM. FWIW, a 4 degree retard will cost less than 1/2 as much low end torque and deliver more than 1/2 as much top end improvement.

If you want to drive a car with a tight converter around town, or tow anything, FORGET the retarded timing set.

If you want to use a medium grind cam at the strip, consider retarding it, but 4 degrees would be better than eight.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, if you are talking about an aftermarket cam, especially a big one, don't retard it unless you have run the simulations and know exactly what you are doing.

My $.02.

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Edit Message Delete Message Lock Thread Respond to this message

Michael
(no login)
4.21.180.210 Re: Less emissions, less torque, more high end
No score for this post December 10 2001, 10:56 AM

Walt thanks for the reply. Based on your comments, it sounds like retarding the cam was driven by emissions more than anything. I mean why would you want to take torque away from a street driven vehicle especially a big block in a truck??? I have a new timing set, I'm just building up the motivation to tackle swapping it out.

Thanks again,

Michael

Brant Mason
(no login)
204.222.216.35 Did the swap on '72 429
No score for this post December 10 2001, 9:06 PM

Definitely do the swap. nI did it on my '72 Tbird w/429. It really woke car up and the gas mileage was considerably better. I get 14-16 with an Edelbrock 750 carb n intake, 3.08 gears and shift kit in the rebuilt c-6. If engine is '72 definitely change heads, they have huge combustion chambers.

Brant Mason
(no login)
204.222.216.35 Update to earlier response
No score for this post December 16 2001, 8:52 PM

I did this swap when I initially bought car. Since then the car has a rebuilt '71 Police Interceptor engine. and a slew fo other stuff. Gets same or better gas mileage with bigger carb n lwr rear gears.

Current Topic - Retarded timing sets

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >> Return to Index

1 - 1 of 1 Posts