460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, As some of you know I'm doing a big block Foxbody swap. The car I have is a 90 LX that had most of the wiring harnesses chopped up for the 351M install before I got it. I still have the original green/red tracer ignition wire and.... That's aboot it as far as original ignition. For simplicity sake I took off the points/coil arrangement that it had and installed an HEI one wire distributor just to get it running as it had sat for 10 years. When I put my 460 in it I'll need a lil more hood space.. What I'd like to do is install a Duraspark system but I'm not sure what's the cheapest way to go aboot doing this.. I don't know which module is the better one to get, wiring harness to get and wire in, and even where to get one? Which distributor to get? (Actually I'll probably be getting the dizzy from Scotty J I think..) All the junkyards around here don't have anything that would have
a distributor in it anymore so there's that.. Any and all suggestions are appreciated and noted!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Forget the whole system,get an OEM Duraspark distributor,MSD box and coil or one similar,easy hook up with the wiring you have.Scotty knows what you have.He can supply a Duraspark dist or modify one you pick up or...you can do it yourself.Again,fairly easy.
That’s what I’m doing Msd has a diagram on the instructions on how to wire it up

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool beans!! See that's why I ask questions here! Simple and concise answers that make sense! I'll start looking into putting together an ignition system. I can implement it actually on the 351M I've got now, so I'll have the ignition lined oot already!

·
Registered
148 Posts
If this is a pure-power always-go setup with max-torque fueling everywhere, and no typical racing or street fuel reduction tuning, CDI/multi-spark can work well. If going for cruise or race fuel-reduction tuning, stick with high-energy systems for their benefits. Lots of options there if that's part of the project goals. (y)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Or you can get a Duraspark module with the blue wire grommet and connect to the distributor from Scotty. Then connect the red module wire to ignition hot, also run ignition hot to the coil. If you want to get fancy you can connect the white module wire to the ignition start circuit for a slight ignition retard when cranking. I have had this setup on my BBF Fairlane for over 25 years with no problems. I have the same setup on a 410 Windsor in a nostalgia Gasser race car and 408 Cleveland in a cruiser. My rationale was that I could easily get components at any autoparts, but so far have not had to replace anything.
I have also used MSD on some other cars and not had any problems.

James

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't suggest the blue grommet DuraSpark, as it is only a little better energy than points. It will certainly run the engine, but will encounter misfire sooner at either high-load (accel or peak-torque) or leaning for race or street economy before HE power will. Same for CDI/MSD with their short and sharp sparks, which need more sparks to get better burn, but only available at lower speeds. I would suggest the red grommet DuraSpark with HEI power if wanting that setup, or many other HE options. My favorite is programmable controlled timing for max flexibility with easy tuning, using a DuraSpark distributor and HE coil, or multi-coil setups.

Oscilloscope trace examples of low and high-amp spark burn durations, the short one representative of points or CDI (low-amp but much higher voltage), and the high-amp HE long-burn. You can see the HE burn provides a longer time for igniting more mixture for wide-rpm and lean-burn mixture ignition. Another option with the greater power of HE ignition is wide gaps, which shorten the burn somewhat, but expose much more mixture to the spark for quicker and more complete fuel burn:
Rectangle Purple Slope Plot Font

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@PSIG now you're just trying to make my lil head splode!!! Are you just suggesting something like a Duraspark distributor and a good coil like a Blaster 2 and not fooling with a MSD box? If I understand what you're laying down?? As far as finding either blue or red grommet duraspark systems, that would entail trying to trace down a wiring harness and a spark box which I have no idea how to find. Most of the junkyards around here don't even have anything with a distributor in them anymore let alone a complete duraspark wiring harness...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not saying you should do anything specific without more info. The vast majority of users here will do well or best with HE ignition, but that's most, and not you. Suggesting to always roll back to project goals. What the engine is and how you will use it will point in specific directions. Every type of system has specific pros and cons, which is why there are so many of them. Do most of them run the engine and "work" for most things? Sure. And so we have all kinds of opinions and arguments about it, because "mine works fine". Define "fine" and how you compared to optimum for your project? ;)

Not my first pick, but if wanting a DS system for whatever reason, you can build your own wiring, cannibalize it, or buy a new harness (check with Painless or American Auto Wire for DS-1). To get the red-grommet box, just shop for a '77-'79 California car (not 49-State) like the Standard LX210 box. Stick most any HEI/TFI-type coil on it (B-2 is fine) and run. That's an example of one option, depending on your preferences. Some will jump in and push for a simple P-II conversion, or FAST or XR-i equivalent, or other system that performs similarly. Try to stick to systems that fit your project best, pick one that makes you giggle, and enjoy your ride. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts