460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's an old unit, but I have heard that it produces better trans performance than the newer models.

Are there any drawbacks to using this older unit vs. the 1705?

Thanks for any info you can pass along.....

Greg

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
The tuners are ok, I dont like the way they raise the line pressures in the tranny though, they will eventually hammer the pump to death. Bottom line is the tranny is set up to deal with x amount of power on the shifts. Add power and now the clutches slip during the gear change with the same "tune up" in the accumulator. You can run a programmer with no trans enhancements and mod the accumulator to deal with the extra power safely.

There are several kits for the do it yourselfer, but they do not address all the issues. I like to use a mix and match of different parts with some of my own.

I have a tranny I did almost 2 years ago here for a case swap as he bought another truck and wanted to use the modded e4 guts in his 4r unit. It has 20k miles on it, the truck made 633rwhp and close to 1200 ftlbs, he tows real heavy with it and has put a good 50 mid 12 sec 1/4 mile passes on it in a 7800# truck.

This thing looks as new inside as the day I built it. It has some goodies in it but the heart and soul is the accumulator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts