460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to take off the oil cooler on my 96 EFI 460 because of a suspected leak on the inside of it. But I can't get a standard oil filter to fit in the space where the oil cooler was. So the question is....does anyone know where to get a right angle oil filter adapter or is there a shorter oil filter I can use that will be an effective enough filter for the truck?? I am also wondering if the right angle adapter restricts the oil flow too much or will it be fine??

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
941 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David. I think I remember seeing someone on here who sold those. I think it was either Paul Kane Or Lem Evans....I'll do some more searching.

Does the right angle restrict flow too much or is it okay. Just using it for everyday driving and occasional towing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Thanks David. I think I remember seeing someone on here who sold those. I think it was either Paul Kane Or Lem Evans....I'll do some more searching.

Does the right angle restrict flow too much or is it okay. Just using it for everyday driving and occasional towing.
I have no doubt that the regular right angle adapters will work just fine for you application. You might use a sanding roll on a die grinder the blend the holes and passages in the adapter for a little easier flow.

I would think the FRPP adapter would flow a little more/easier just because the center bolt is much larger. It goes around the outside of the block adapter just like a filter rather than just having a hollow bolt. I got my from Lem Evans. It will go on my new 598.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does the filter need to point towards the front of the engine? I installed this same unit tonight on my BBF and pointed the filter towards the back of the engine for more clearance.....think all is ok? I had 80psi, no problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
941 Posts
Does the filter need to point towards the front of the engine? I installed this same unit tonight on my BBF and pointed the filter towards the back of the engine for more clearance.....think all is ok? I had 80psi, no problem.

Thanks
Front, back, any direction. Doesn't matter (other than it can be a little messy when changing oil.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I used the same adapter as above (M-6880-A50) but used a sharp die grinder bit to chamfer or roll all edges that oil flow contacted. My oil pressure was 50 @ 1100 & 65 psi @6800rpm. Standard size filter was pointed down and forward 45 deg.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
do you think you could run a accumulator hose from the center of this oil filter adaptor in the center?

is the center of the oil filter pressure in or pressure out?

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
I have a customer who runs the stock "Econoline" adapter on his 557 and it's been just fine for several seasons of racing. He turns it to 7000rpm.

·
Registered
368 Posts
do you think you could run a accumulator hose from the center of this oil filter adaptor in the center?

is the center of the oil filter pressure in or pressure out?
Accumulator won't hook up to this type adapter.

I run my accumulator into the side of the block just above the fuel pump. I think I use a -6 steel, male AN fitting welded to the end of a 3/8" pipe, threaded one end x 3-1/2" long. Just long enough to get a wrench on both fittings when assembling.

Oil filter center is always pressure out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts