460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who has had good luck or bad luck out of different brands of Ford 9 inch ring and pinion gear sets. I mud race and need something better than the ones I've been using. They don't have a brand name on them so I don't know what to tell you not to use but they aren't good enough for BIG BAD FORD TRUCK. Thanks Mac

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
What type of gear failures are you seeing? Maybe your using the wrong gear type/material. Does a mud truck usually need a softer 9310 nickel gear like faster/higher HP drag cars do, or a harder 8620 street/oval track gear?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The kid & I were talking to a guy that does Cryo work, at the PRI. He mentioned that SOME gears were cracked worse after cryo than before. I asked which ones were not cracked to start with and he replyed that Motive Gear and the new(last 2 years) FORD Visteon gears seemed to be the best. Now, that was in reference to a NASCAR application but I think it's likely that a better gear is still a better gear. How much do you save if a $140.00 gear blows up and a $200.00 gear doesn't?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts