460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have my car all in pieces this winter, it is getting new brake lines all around, and a dual master cylinder is replacing the ancient single m/c.

I've been considering putting a line lock in while I'm doing the rest. As usual, I troll around on the web and see all the various opinions on the topic, then I come here for the real answers.

Here's the question: install the line lock on the front or the rear brakes?

My car has a C-6 by the way. No trans brake yet.

I've read that some guys put the line lock on the REAR wheels so they can cut off the rear brakes BEFORE pressing the brake pedal.

Fire away.... thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Youre asking for potentially a lot of trouble in that scenario. Use the line-loc the way it is supposed to be used and save yourself a lot of troubles.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
10-4.

"Front" it is then.

Where are people putting the switches for these line locks? I like the Hurst T-handles with the button on the side....

But if you also have a trans brake, where would the switch for this be located? I'm just trying to plan ahead.

thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes they are designed for the water box only.However,if you install it on the rear and the solonoid fails in the closed position,you'll have no rear brakes period.
Put it on the front only.
Russ

·
Registered
412 Posts
line lock

Front only,,,,But i have seen an exception to that my friend because of not being able to use a trans brake used 2 line locks 1 on frt.and 1 on back believe it or not he was real consistent on cutting lights/// thought about trying it myself haven`t got there yet. Bill

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
10-4.

"Front" it is then.

Where are people putting the switches for these line locks? I like the Hurst T-handles with the button on the side....

But if you also have a trans brake, where would the switch for this be located? I'm just trying to plan ahead.

thanks
I've seen the majority of them on the shifter. Use it when up shifting during the burnout. I've read a few unfortunate posts where there have been people run over in the pits by runaway race cars doing "trans brake tests" and such and I've been told that puting it on a toggle switch will let you use it as a "parking brake" when doing some run ups in the pit. Not a bad idea in my opinion. Most people either put thier trans brake buttons on the shifter handle or on the steering wheel spoke. I've even heard of it being incorperated into the brake light switch or on a momentary switch under the brake pedal...I prefere it in the steering wheel/butterfly area.
Rob

·
Registered
412 Posts
roll control

Oops/// forgot had one on a tbird hooked it up to cruise control on the steering wheel worked great Left hand to hold steering wheel and line lock button ,right hand shifterl :) Bill

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
The problem with trying to use a line lock as launch control and trying to hold a car in place and run the RPM's up to launch with is: the cars brakes won't hold against much power. They're quite easily overcome as a matter of fact. Case in point: try holding the brakes and doing a burn out.....you do the burn out. That's the reason that Trans Brakes were invented. Once again, a line lock is designed to be used to hold a car that has front brakes and doesn't do a rolling burnout, in the water box........period.
Rob

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The problem with trying to use a line lock as launch control and trying to hold a car in place and run the RPM's up to launch with is: the cars brakes won't hold against much power. They're quite easily overcome as a matter of fact. Case in point: try holding the brakes and doing a burn out.....you do the burn out. That's the reason that Trans Brakes were invented. Once again, a line lock is designed to be used to hold a car that has front brakes and doesn't do a rolling burnout, in the water box........period.
Rob
So what do you use if the class prohibits a trans brake?

Clay

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Your left foot! lol And launch at a low RPM. If you're running brackets, you don't have to try to squeeze all the ET you can out of it. You're trying to run a CONSISTANT number....not necessarily a low number. Bracket racing levels the playing field, a 14 second car has just as much chance of winning as a 6 second car. Concentrate on cutting a good light and let the car run the SAME number EVERY time.
Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
The lighter in my Barracuda is inside the ashtray. I took out the lighter and put the button there. With the M/T ET Streets, I start the burnout, release the button, then shift to second as I roll out.

Also, my line lock holds the car on the line at a 3000+ rpm launch speed.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
A lot of guys have successfully used front/rear line locks as a "poor-man's" transbrake for years & years. Having drum brakes helps the setup work much better vs trying to do it with it with disk brakes.

Before Duane put a transbrake on his 69 Stang he used front/rear line locks tied to a 2 step & delay box. Had to use fairly low RPM low-side chips to stage with, but then at that time it was a junkyard 460 with a tight converter. So the setup worked OK even at the lower launch RPM's.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
I used mine with a button on the steering wheel and it ran my linelock and a 2-step on my last Ranger to launch at a consistant rpm, worked great and I am gonna be doing the same with my current truck. I have put the same set-up in a couple friends cars that bracket race with me and they love it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I took a t handle and drill the other side with a 1/2" drill about 1" deep and drill 5/32" hole to entersect the 1/2" one went to radio shack got a monentary switch like 2 or 3 $ silcone it in works and look great nitrous with my thumb and line lock with baby finger dont need a relay but it wont hurt
dragweek quickest street rod

1 - 20 of 35 Posts