460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading that rotella doesn't have zddp anymore, so I called the company direct and they do, I believe 1200 ppm.. just wanted to spread the fact

·
Registered
250 Posts
All motor oils have ZDDP which is a mix of Zinc and Phosphorus. The issue is they don't have the amount that they used to, plus there are some new low VOC ZDDP additives being used in oils that reduce the function of the product. Today normal passenger car motor oils have around 600 ppm of Zinc and Phosphorus, but they used to be for flat tappet camshafts at around 1600 to 1800 ppm.

For some years people were using the diesel oils for their hot rod and race car engines because it used to have higher levels of ZDDP, but with the latest changes it was reduced.

Now some oil companies like Joe Gibbs is making dedicated Hot Rod oil or you can purchase a small bottle of additive like from Rislone to use normal motor oil and boost it up to these higher levels.

But at the end of the day keep in mind not all engines need these higher levels. If you are running roller lifters, roller rockers and moly coated piston skirts, today's oils will be just fine.

For those older hot rod, racing or any other engine with flat tappet cams, especially with high spring pressure, you should have something in that 1600 ppm range.

·
Registered
569 Posts
rotella

Just another note on Rotella (I noted it in another post), When working at a local diesel shop we WOULD NOT USE Rotella for break in oil. The rings just wouldn't seat. Customers would complain thinking "why would I NOT want the slippery oil in my engine right from the start?" But after we explained, and a mix of "we won't do it", they finally understood.

AFTER break in (which was much longer than a car because of multiple filters and such), Rotella was fine as well as other extra slippery oils.......

But if in doubt about the zddp levels, always go the safe route and get something proven or look on here. These guys know what's what!!!

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Why screw around with Rotella when there are so many oils specifically made for flat tappets available these days? :confused: If it's price, just go to Walmart and look for Accel 10W-40. Throw in a bottle of STP if you really want to make sure you have enough ZDDP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts