460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 e350 motor home with a 460 I drive it all the time but I let it set for about 2months but I kept it started the problem is it starts up cold fine stop the pedal and has the power but drive it for 25 miles kick it down it loses power and starts backfire, popping and sounds like I shot a 12 gage out the tail pipe if I turn it off for half hour or so it starts back up fine for 10 minutes then starts the missing again I knocked out the catalytic converter welded the ear pipe up I tuck all the pollution off can someone help

·
Registered
825 Posts
HI,
I think a 92 is going to have a lot of computer run stuff and taking most or all that stuff off is going to effect what the computer reads if not done properly... if well run crappie.
I hope someone with more information on that well speak up.. for you..

good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
765 Posts
Sorry just saw this post, 2 things I can think of to check. 1 did you by chance "bypass" your EGR? If so, don't... Your engine will run better with it.. it was designed to run lean and the EGR helps it do that.. 2 check your muffler and see if it feels like it's borked up solid. This can happen when you poke out your converter. Loose substrate from your converter will brake loose when the engine warms up and since your muffler is doing it's job... That's where all the chunks of converter are ending up. When your engine gets hot, so does the exhaust, heat swells stuff up.. All those converter chunks when hot will stop up flow in your muffler like a tater in the tailpipe... Solution, get a new muffler and drive a piece of exhaust pipe thru the converter and leave it there as a "bypass" so the converter chunks stay wedged in the converter and not in the muffler, better yet replace it with a free flowing converter that will burn clean and not affect your exhaust flow... Unless you race your motor home off road all the time??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts