460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam going to try and start my new engine this evening when it starts and if it starts i was told to run it at 2000 rpm for 20 min is this true will it hurt if something goes wrong while its running and i have to shut it down then start it back up If everything goes ok will this be long enough for break in then can i ride

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
This is true, you need to run it at 2000+ rpm so the cam gets adequate oil splash. This is assuming you're running a flat tappet cam.

You should be ok if you have to shut it down, it's better to run it the whole time but issues pop up despite our best efforts. I believe the most important thing is to get it started quickly the first time so that it doesn't wipe lube of the cam lobes before it starts.

After the cam breakin, I'd change the oil then go drive it moderately hard...there's no real reason to baby it.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I am all scared of wiping cams now as mine got trashed on breakin.
(rockers hit the valve covers)

Use GM EOS in the oil,

Pull the inner valve springs if you have them to reduce spring pressure.

Change oil after breakin before driving. I'd drive it and change it again
I couldn't believe how bad the oil was when I pulled the pan after changing it twice. Of course mine was full of metal

Tip from a novice:
Turn mill over by hand with the plugs out and get a feel for how hard/easy it is to turn.
If you wipe a cam and fill the bearings with metal (like me) you will know by how hard it is to turn the crank by hand.

·
Registered
236 Posts
jbo,

I suspect it's been more than 48hrs since the engine was on the engine stand. So if at all possible, I'd suggest you pull the distributor & prime the oiling system, turning the engine over by hand during the process - then re-install the distributor. Then gather close your fire extinguisher, timing light, water hose & man-cooling fan. NOW put the spark to it... :D GOOD LUCK!

StickBBF :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts