460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RULES for using the Classifieds Forums - How to keep from getting ripped off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bring this to you as a federal investigator, that has been ripped off, and wasn't able to do anything about it. Imagine being in law enforcement and not being able to do anything!

If your the seller: Use paypal! Yes paypal is not a perfect system, but if you ship to confirmed address and use delivery confirmation, and do not charge a paypal surcharge you stand a good chance of getting your money back if someone claims they didn't recieve a package. I just had a 1696 dollar refund. It took 74 days but I got my money back! Also when using paypal don't accept credit card payments through paypal, Credit Card companies have built in fraud systems in place that make it hard to dispute their cardholders claims. Discover card is the worst. ( I am not knocking Discover, I am just stating that they have good fraud protection, as a cardholder this is great. As a merchant trying to get your scammed money back it is aweful! They take care of their cardholders, even the dishonest ones. In this situation it dosent hurt to call the loss and prevention team and give them your side of the story. They will most of the time record this conversation and use it to help factor their refund, and or reversal. Paypal is a middleman for money, but if a customer uses a credit card, paypal is bound by the credit card companies policies, which means they have to instantly refund the money if their is a dispute and the credit card company has 74 days to make a judgement for you or their scammer!If you receive money orders, give many days until they clear before you ship! Postal money orders are showing up counterfeit more and more. If you ship before it clears you can and will eat it if it is counterfeit.

If you are the buyer: Purchase postal money orders if you don't have paypal. Make copies of the money order stub, and the shipping label, itemize what is in the envelope as payment for goods and list the goods. Also keep all records of coraspondance albeit it mail or telephone, dates times etc.. Use overnight or second day, or at least some type of registered mail. If a postal money order is cashed and goods are not recieved, you can file a claim with the post office. The post office has federal agents that carry guns that will bust thiefs, and have full arrest authority, and they will even do stakeouts and pose as mailmen when delivering packages once someone is under investigation!

Here are the procedures for filing complaints. First and foremost file a complaint with your local PD, that has juristiction in your area you live. Take copies of the above mentioned items. Second call the PD where the package was sent to, and file a police report. Also you can go to the Website for the FBI internet fraud investigations. I beleive it is called ice, but i'm not sure. I had varying effects when doing all these things, but it has helped sometimes. Alot of it has to do with the PD"S and policies dealing with internet and fraud.

My 1696 dollars scam, started when I took a paypal payment for a shipment. I shipped to a confirmed address and didn't charge a surcharge, I also used delivery confirmation, but the shipper didn;t get a signiture. (YOu must request signiture!!!!, the buyer laughed in my face on the phone, stating he recieved my package, but since it wasnt signed for, he was going to get his money back. I Kept all records of phone conversations. I transcribed not recorded! (This work in some states, but in some you can get in trouble for recording conversations!) I called the cardholders company (discover) and explained what the customer had said. I called the shippers loss and prevention and it was cleared through the driver that the package had been in fact delivered. It was his first stop of the day, and he took the loss and prevention team back to the house, without directions! I know all of this is alot, but it is hard to lose your mechandise, especially 1696 dollars worth. I hope some of this helps. I can't promise that it will work for you, but it definatly got me my money back, and might help some of you.

FOUND THIS ON THE OTHER SITE THAT jmood45 IS ON NOW

FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
FTC online complaint form (http://www.ftc.gov)
Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
Internet Fraud Complaint Center (http://www.ic3.gov)
Software Piracy (http://www.siia.net/piracy/report.asp)
Non-emergency number for your local police department.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The guy who wrote that wrote it from the seller's perspective. It sounds like a buyer done a fraudulent reversal on him.

As a buyer, I will only pay through Paypal with my credit card. Looking at your situation, a credit card would get your money back. If you get scammed with Paypal as a buyer, you can dispute it. If the seller removed all funds from their Paypal account, though, you will get nothing from Paypal. This happened to me.

I was scammed for $1,500. I filed a dispute with Paypal. They agreed that I was scammed, but said the seller had no $$$ in his account. Therefore, they couldn't do anything else for me. At that point, I simply called my credit card and got all my money back. I bet Paypal was a little more concerned about the money when that happened...

So, depending on what side of the fence you are on (buyer vs. seller), the rules change. Sometimes, you get the shaft even when you done everything right.

Have a good day!
Michael

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
I know when I am worried about being scammed I use US Postal money orders then if you are scammed the Government is involved and the frown on it and go for the throat, cuz it is a federal offense...

Randy

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know when I am worried about being scammed I use US Postal money orders then if you are scammed the Government is involved and the frown on it and go for the throat, cuz it is a federal offense...

Randy
As a buyer I try to never use PayPal.
As a seller I will NEVER use PayPal!

For maximum protection Randy is on the money!

Muel

·
Registered
53 Posts
Muel my postmaster told me if you use a US Postal money order it is federal offense, mail fraud...

Randy
Mine too, that's why I agree with you.
I feel it is the safest way to deal with large sums.
I sold some off brand parts a while back, well over $20k total.
I shipped the parts COD requiring a USPS Money order for the specified amounts.
The buyer pays gets the parts, and I get paid all at the same time.
There is little risk for the buyer, if I did not deliver what I said I would it is mail fraud. Unlike paypal the buyer can't falsely whine to PP and screw me by hanging my funds up.
Is there absolutely no risk? No. Never will be.

·
Registered
170 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts