460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched, but didn't find anything. I have used the prestone radiator flush before & don't really like the end result as far as cleaning the rust out of a cooling system. Does anyone have a better way, or additive to clean up a rusty cooling system?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
There is not really a said flush that will actually remove rust for the system. It will slowly be removed through subsiquent coolant flushes. Also, do not over-protect the coolant. Straight coolant does not protect the engine as well as 50/50. Josh

·
Registered
412 Posts
rust

There is no good radiator flush no more other than taking it to rad shop however someone told me that the CLR house hold stuff thats used for calcium deposits, rust stains,etc is supposed to work good.hope to try it myself real soon , Bill

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
An engine made from a Ferrous material (Iron) that's exposed to oxidants (water; oxygen) cannot be made to completely stop oxidizing unless all the oxidizers (oxygen) are removed from the equation......So, unless you put your cooling system in a perfect vacuum (like outer space) it's eventually going to rust. YEARLY cooling system flushes are the suggested way to control and get rid of contaminants and deposits in a cooling system and a 50/50 mix of antifreeze will help to prevent SOME acids from occurring.
Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Radiator flushing

I grew up in the auto repair business,we had a radiator shop who rented from us,the old guy told me that a lot of times it was not rust ,it was casting mud being released from the casting, he said that after engines were cast,they were treated to a sealing process which breaks down over time.If the "rust" feels slimey it is mud . I can remember digging mud out of engines when changing core plugs. When I was in trades school the old professor would correct us when we called them "freeze plugs", he explained that the only reason they were there was to remove the casting mud .Kenny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts