460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to pull off an exhaust system...and now have ran into a half loose rusted bolt that is begining to strip.... :evil: Any special tricks getting someting like this loose. I have tried WD40 but it does'nt want to budge. Now the head is striping. It's in a very difficult place to reach also.
Any ideas??????

Thx
Aaron

T

·
0 Posts
Rusted Bolts

Getyou some PB Blaster. Spray the bolts down and let them sit awhile. If they are as rusty as you say, I would keep spraying them down a couple a days then remove them. When I did the exhaust manifolds on my truck, I knew I was going to do them on a Saturday,so I would spray them down once a day during the week. Then on Saturday they broke free with no problems. They were rusted bad also. I replaced them with stainless bolts. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Old trick with candle wax

I have used this for many years.Get a small torch heat them up,take a small candle and touch it to the threads near the nut.The wax will go up the bolt and it will turn off if the head is not to stripped.If that don't work I split the nut with my plasma cutter.Good Luck man!!!!
Bob Meader

1 - 4 of 4 Posts