460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car out for the first time since drag racing on Halloween night, and the rear is making a bad noise. I thought maybe it was just the springs settling in with the Cal-Trac install, and pulled over to take some pre-load off the springs. After I loosened up the bars a bit, it was still making the same noise. I brought it back over my Dad's, jacked up the rear, so I can rotate the tires in neutral. Sure enough, there's a dreaded clunking/metalic noise while turning the wheels, and the driveshaft moves quite a bit before the wheels move. :cry: I was going to take it all apart this afternoon, but I was so disgusted I'll wait until I get out of work tomorrow. Worst case scenario is a bad Detroit Locker (that I just put in used and only one trip at the track). If I have to, I can rebuild a 9" traction lock I took out, and I have new clutches. It figures, so close to leaving for the Bash. :x I'll get it done come hell or high water. It was a nice day for a ride today, and I just filled the tank. :lol: I'll post pics tomorrow after I remove the differential.

230 Posts
hey !

what gears are you running ? Adney

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Hey Pat ,at least it happened now . you got time to fix it before the bash now.I just hope I don't break anything before the bash, it'll be hard to fix it in a couple of days.Good luck buddy!!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: hey !

Performance Crankshaftinc said:
what gears are you running ? Adney
I'm running 3.89's. I started a new thread in the General Tech, in case someone that can help me doesn't check in here. I took the differential out, and I have some pictures and questions here...... 8)

http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?p=182754#182754

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All is well with Big Blue again. I replaced the springs in the Locker with new ones, and everything is fine. 8) I was coming to the Bash with or without the Fairlane, but it sure feels good to have her back. :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Glad it was a simple fix for you Pat. See you at the bash. :D

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Tom, and looking forward to seeing you again too. I'm glad it was simple. I bought a 9 inch DVD rebuild video, and it paid for itself already. I also bought an 8.8 rebuild video from the same guy, and have about 10 of those under my belt as well. I'm lucky I can do this stuff myself, or I would have been screwed! :D Here's a link if anyone is interested....

http://www.badshoeproductions.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts