460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever heard of or better yet SEEN a rx380 3 valve big block? I have some literature that says ford took the forged crank from this engine for use in the boss 9. It states this engine was a non production "exotic" mill .I can only wonder what that would have run like, this paperwork dates back to 68 so it will be earler than that

·
Registered
320 Posts
I heard that Ford had made a 3v version of the cammer but never a version with a 429 crank. there is a guy here in town who owns a mustang shop from way back in the day. Called it the gurilla motor claims it was a ohc motor based on the 385 motor. I can't find info on it but he swears it exists.

·
Registered
131 Posts
cammers

back in the 60"s, Hot Rod magazine had an article about Ford and other prototype engines, had some onn the cover. cannot remember the year, but if you could find that magazine, it was very informative , lots of neat engines.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The only 3 valve engine I ever heard of is the "Calliope"[sp] One-off engine that was not based on either the 385 series or the FE. I remember little about it other than it was a pushrod engine, not a cammer and I vaguely remember something about an odd location of the cam and it was on the cover of HRM in 68 or 69. Edit to add: Found the magazine....Hot Rod Mag. June 1968- 5 Ford engines on the cover. Calliope V8 built for Le Mans, 427 cu/in, cast aluminum block with an unusal over/under camshaft arrangement, pressed in iron cyl. liners 4.34 bore x 3.60 stroke, 3" main journals/2.50" rod journals. Intake cam 6" above the crank centerline, exhaust cam 4.50" above the C/L of the intake cam, both cams driven by chain/sprokets. Dry sump oiling, no head gaskets-copper O rings only. Pent roof conbustion chambers and injector barrels cast into the head using Hilborn parts. Dynoed 630 HP @ 6400 RPM and believed capable of 800 HP @ 8000 RPM. Engine weight: [complete] 577lbs. Only 2 engines built. Also found in the same article: 3 valve SOHC 302" but the engine was never built. Engine pictured in article used wooden components mounted on a 302 shrotblock. Mockup was constructed for feasability purposes and chassis fitment only. Boring day for me, this gave me something to do. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
From Wikipedia:
Later Ford engine designs with hemispherical chambers included the Calliope, which used two in-block cams, arranged one over the other, to drive 3 valves per hemispherical chamber[12]. The pushrods activating the valves from the top camshaft were almost horizontal. In 1968, Ford brought out a completely new engine family called the 385-series. This engine's heads used a modified form of the hemispherical chamber called Semi-Hemi[13]. (source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi).

This guy has some pictures: http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/17894

·
Registered
139 Posts
Funny thing,was just showing that issue to my buddy the other day,we both thought what a shame bout' those small block heads,but what about that ohc conversion for the small block,I think that woulda been a killer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I worked at Ford Engineering in the 60's. I saw a 3-valve big block with 4x2 Weber carbs in a winged roadster(J-car era) in the wind tunnel. I don't think they ever made more than a few prototypes. The sound was unforgettable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts