460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RACER KILLED AT HATTIESBURG, MS
During time trials for the annual Mardi Gras race at Hub City Dragway, near Hattiesburg, MS, local racer Scott Williams died Feb. 19, in a top-end crash. Williams, of Clinton, MS, apparently lost control of his Fox-body Mustang, climbed the metal guard rail and was launched driver's side first into the upright supports of the right-lane scoreboard. The car was torn into several pieces by the impact and Williams, 29, was ejected and killed instantly according to a report in the Hattiesburg American. Racing was cancelled after the tragedy and the track is currently closed for repairs. [2/21/2007]
From "Drag Racing on line"

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
F570.RD said:
RACER KILLED AT HATTIESBURG, MS
During time trials for the annual Mardi Gras race at Hub City Dragway, near Hattiesburg, MS, local racer Scott Williams died Feb. 19, in a top-end crash. Williams, of Clinton, MS, apparently lost control of his Fox-body Mustang, climbed the metal guard rail and was launched driver's side first into the upright supports of the right-lane scoreboard. The car was torn into several pieces by the impact and Williams, 29, was ejected and killed instantly according to a report in the Hattiesburg American. Racing was cancelled after the tragedy and the track is currently closed for repairs. [2/21/2007]
From "Drag Racing on line"
Yes, a lot of my friends new him and it has really touched us all.

I wasn't going to say anything because I was not at the race track and did not know the exact details.

It has really set heavy with everyone around here.

I'm sorry if the picture might offend anyone but it is something that can happen to anyone who drag races. It has really been a wake-up call for myself.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jone's.......Very sorry the loss is that close.Had one up here six years back,bad deal.My thoughts are with all who new him.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
c.evans said:
Hey guys,

I'm really saddened to hear this. Was Scott Williams any kin to my friend and customer Norman Williams from down around Ocean Springs and Van Cleave?

Thanks,
I'm not for sure, I never met this gentlman. Like I said all of the guys I hang around at the race track from the Jackson area new him well.

I can tell you that the car wasn't his car. He was driving it for someone else, he was married and 29 years old. The car was supposedly a 5.20 1/8 mile car.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i fmet scott about 4 years ago when he worked at wynn speed. he was a very kool guy and a hell of a driver. he will be missed.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Ya, details are real sketchy about the car. I was told it had a cage but I wonder if it was just a 6 point or something. I would have thought if it had a complete NHRA spec cage we wouldn't be having this conversation.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
That's about the worst place for a giant pole that I can think of. Why the heck would they place that thing immediately adjacent to the guardrail?

What an awful accident.

Greg

·
Registered
441 Posts
Guys, do you really think any kind of cage would protect you from a impact with a steel beam mounted a couple feet from the metal guard rail on the top end of the track at over a 100mph? It tore the car in half...... The beam shouldn't have been that close to the track, that is why we have the displeasure of seeing this. Now the question is will the move the scoreboards or chance it happening again :(

T

·
0 Posts
Man that is a terrible tragedy..I feel for his family. We had a guy get killed at Outer Banks last year in a 4 sec dragster. Ran off the end of the track(2500') at wide open throttle. Never lifted. He was 27.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Wreckless4thf said:
Guys, do you really think any kind of cage would protect you from a impact with a steel beam mounted a couple feet from the metal guard rail on the top end of the track at over a 100mph? It tore the car in half...... The beam shouldn't have been that close to the track, that is why we have the displeasure of seeing this. Now the question is will the move the scoreboards or chance it happening again :(
You make a good point. Why do they need to be so close to the track?

I doubt anything changes at that track. This happened on a Monday and they were open the next day for their biggest race of the year "Fat Tuesday"
I have been told by some one who works at that track that they "might" see the owners five times a year. The only reason that track is open is for this "Fat Tuesday" race. They don't even bracket race at that track anymore.

Everyone feels like the track owners think, as long as racers keep coming into the gate why should they try to make it any better.

I would really like to know what it takes to have a track IHRA or NHRA approved?

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
You know, I quit going to Denton Dragway due to numerous safety issues.

It's just not worth my life to have some punk in charge of tech and safety put my life in jeopardy.

Tell you what, it's plain scary to watch a KOTH or a true 10.5 race there at Denton.

This year I will be going to texas raceway instead.

Greg

·
Registered
191 Posts
SQ34 said:
It doesn't matter how good the cage is, if its your time the good lord gonna take you. My condolences...
I agree. Terrible accident though. Gotta feel bad for the guys family and the members of the community.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So Sad, but it is a reality in motorsports.

SQ34, I agree with you, when it's your time it's your time but, the Good Lord also gives you knowledge. I do believe if he had a properly installed complete cage, seat, belts, and anything else you could get in the car he could have survived the accident. NASCAR drivers survive crashes at 180mph, I have seen cars completely destroyed but the cage is still in tact. I don't mean to start an argument or anything like that, I just believe the car should have had more safety in it. A 9 second 1/4 mile car is dangerous, true or not???

I also agree that anyone who put a pole that big that close to a drag strip needs to be taken out back and.....well use your imagination.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi My Name is Phillip Bush I joined 2 weeks ago & I hate that my 1st post is about such a sad event.
I live in Biloxi Ms about 65 miles from where it happened .I was there the day before the wreck. That track has no saftey checks. I have never seen a car get teched in or been teched myself.. Ive seen ATV's race against cars.
but to add something to this here is an email I received from the track.

2-22-07

I am sure that many of you have heard about the terrible tragedy that occurred at Hub City Dragway this past Monday afternoon. Scott Williams, a long time, loyal racer at Hub City, was fatally injured in a one car accident. Scott loved the sport of drag racing as does everyone that is receiving this email. There is a common bond among racers that is unlike any other sport that I know of. This bond could easily be compared to the bond between family members. We have lost a member of our racing family, and Scott will be greatly missed.

Scott, 29 years of age, leaves behind his wife, Blair. A memorial fund has been established in his honor for her benefit. Even a small donation from each person that receives this email would amount to a great sum of money to aid in the payment of the costs incurred because of this tragedy. Please find it in your heart to donate whatever amount is comfortable for you to give. Any gift will be greatly appreciated.

To make donations, please contact: Citizens National Bank
Scott Williams Memorial Fund
P.O. Box 17648
6258 US Hwy 98
Hattiesburg, MS 39402

Donations by telephone: Citizens National Bank
Scott Williams Memorial Fund
(601) 261-6857

Thank You,

Ralph Abraham Jr.
Hub City Dragway

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I totally agree that it is a sad, tragic event and can't help but feel for his family.
I saw this posted on another forum about the accident- "Went through the 1/8th at a mere 111 walking it side to side and lifted right after the 1/8th and continued to try to steer it straight, but by then the rear kicked out to the left and he slid a few hundred feet sideways and the car grabbed and went into the opposing lane and front first into the opposite guard rail (I would estimate at around 100 mph) ramped the rail, the driver's side hit the inside pole of the scoreboard about 8 feet up."

"walking it side to side"? Sounds as if this could have been avoided if he had aborted the run earlier when it got outta shape?

·
Registered
816 Posts
That steel post cut through that car like a sword at over 100mph & looks to be at the drivers door. I don't know if any thing other than the pole not being there would have saved him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts