460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marlboro man dies after his pickup truck rolls off floor jack and pins him underneath

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 09/27/07

MARLBORO — A 58-year-old township man died from injuries he suffered when his antique pick-up truck apparently rolled off of a floor jack and pinned him under the vehicle, police said.

The man, whose name was not released today because family members were yet to be notified about his death, was behind his Tennent Road home, working on the drive-shaft of his 1937 Plymouth pick-up truck Wednesday evening, said Detective Erik Nolte.

The victim had been outside for about two hours when his wife discovered him pinned under the truck around 8 p.m., said Nolte.

She initially tried to raise the vehicle, but couldn't, so she called police.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The victim had raised the truck off the ground with a hydraulic floor jack, but the wheels of the pick-up were not blocked and jack-stands were not used, said Nolte.

The drive shaft had been removed from the rear-wheel drive vehicle, police said. Without that shaft in place, and without an activated emergency brake, the wheels of the truck would have been able to spin freely, said Nolte, who called the incident a tragedy.

Modifications had also been made to the victim's vehicle, so the Plymouth sits lower to the ground than a typical pick-up truck, police said.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070927/NEWS/70927035

I don't know this guy, but with all the cruise nights here in Jersey, I'm sure I've seen the truck at some time. Maybe Tom (Big Hurt) knows him? :(

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
wifes friend collected insurance on divorced husband when he became part of the garage floor beneath a 55. He was using concrete blocks as his jack stands.

Always think of what if... before crawling under. It takes another second to set a jack stand, a whole second to block wheels and set jack stands. Cars can be replaced.... the soft pink stuff.. not so much.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I always use jackstands and have gotten into the habit of putting my wheels under the car when I take them off for a little extra insurance.I know someone who got burned from hot exhaust when their car rolled over top of them but luckily that was their only injury.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've lost two good friends because of this, always, ALWAYS use jackstands, and never work alone, one of my friends would probably had lived if he hadn't been working by himself. I couldn't tell you how may times I have been guilty of doing the same things, but not anymore.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
When I was in High School auto shop a friend brings in a friend of his 50 Chevy. Said Chevy owner told my friend not to use the shop bumper jack [the kind that span the width of the bumper widely used by shops] but he did. I pulled the front wheel and was under the car on a creeper doing something. As I slid out, arms extended over my head pushing myself out the car came crashing down, the brake drum imbedded itself in the concrete just where my neck and upper chest was. I wasn't out from under that thing for more than 2 or 3 seconds when the bumper brackets broke. I suddenly became a firm believer in jack stands. The instructor told the friend of the Chevy owner never to bring that car in again. Years later I went to see my old instructor and he showed me the hole in the concrete and he uses that divot to tell my story to all his new classes each year that it does happen.

·
Registered
928 Posts
The idea that anyone would think of getting under a car/truck etc that was not properly supported with HD jackstands is crazy..However, as this picture illustrates
some people have no clue.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hey at least he used a stone to chock the wheel. Seriously though when I put a car on stands I always rock it hard in several directios to be sure the stands are secure. Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
mp40 said:
The idea that anyone would think of getting under a car/truck etc that was not properly supported with HD jackstands is crazy..However, as this picture illustrates
Come on now. He's using not just one, but TWO 4x4's. A model of safety compared to some things I've seen. :roll:

I never never never get under a car without at least double safety....jack stands, backed up by the jack, and usually backed up by wheels under the car. I also give the car a good rocking to be sure nothing settles.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
cadunkle said:
Hey at least he used a stone to chock the wheel. Seriously though when I put a car on stands I always rock it hard in several directios to be sure the stands are secure. Not worth the risk.
I agree, I always shake the car / truck hard. I have to work on my old truck alone and it weighs 4,670lbs. I don't think I can bench press it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I actually try to push the car off the stands to make sure it is stable. I figure if a fatboy like me can't push it over then it's as safe as it can be without the wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
248 Posts
One more to keep in mind too ,.......I live in cali where there are earth quakes.
Anyone wanna climb under my ride for me........ :shock:
I got jack stands...... :lol:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
CarsByCarl said:
mp40 said:
Come on now. He's using not just one, but TWO 4x4's AND he has the wheels chocked. A model of safety compared to some things I've seen. :roll:

Seriously though, I never never never get under a car without at least double safety....jack stands, backed up by the jack, and usually backed up by wheels under the car. I also give the car a good rocking to be sure nothing settles.
I think you guys are being overly critical

1. He has the wife sitting on the passenger side of the truck as ballast.
2. He has an observer (notice shadow in the foreground - not the camera man).
3. He is only going to be there a few minutes as the hole in the gas tank that he is welding up isn't that large.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'v seen the dumb ***'s up here drive up on the curb dividers in the parking lot's and fix there cars. But it's O.K. because they have there meth'ed out old lady feeding them booze while they yank on the tranny linkage!!!! Yeks! Gods way of weeding out he Stupid I guess. :roll:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
My lesson was learned putting brakes on my wife's 79 318 Dodge Aspen.

Me and her stepdad jacked up the rear and put it on stands.
We didn't **** the front. It fell over backwards and the *** end went through the bottom of the garage door.

We had to lever the bumper up and get a jack under it, raise it up to block it and then put it back on a second pair of stands and added chocks.

The crushed jackstands dented the crap out of the floor in the back seat area and punched throuh in one spot.

Later we did the front.
I put the jack on the front frame rail and it crushed flat. It was all rust.

This car looked brand new insaide and out and had plenty of power but the whole bottom was rust. The PO parked it on grass every day.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Very sad

I think it may be time to revisit this thread as well...

http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=12551&highlight=johnny+blocks

I recently acquired a "qwik lift" and feel much better about crawling around under the car now. I'd rather have a "real" lift, but that won't happen in my current garage.

http://www.kwiklift.com/features-all.htm

For me, this lift offers a safety improvement over jack stands, a clearance improvement (a lot more room under the car now), a means by which to secure the car when I'm not home (a little hard to get the car off that thing in a hurry with tongue-locks in place), protection from door dings (not so likely to bump something into it), etc. Not cheap, but watch craigs list and you might be surprised what someone will let one go for if they're moving.

Byron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts