460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to make some approx. 45* bends in some 3" exhaust pipe. I've read about how you can cap off one end of a straight piece of pipe, pour the pipe almost full of sand, and then pack in a tight wad of newspaper in the other end (with help from a hammer to get the sand packed in tight) to hold it in. Then you just take an oxy/acetelyne torch, heat up where you want to make the outside of the bend, and push the pipe as you heat it. When there's enough heat, it will stretch and make a nice smooth bend. The sand keeps it from collapsing like crush-bent pipe. Soooo, with the price of mandrel bends and the effort to cut and weld the bends in place, it seems like sand bending at home would be a good way to go. Anyone done it? Is it very difficult to get right?

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
I had some old timmers tell me they use to do it all the time. The one that told me said that I could then take the pipe down to any muffler shop and have them bend it and it would crimp. (That is once it's full of sand and capped off.)
Don't know though, I have never done it.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
seen it done on brake lines. I was pretty young and can't remember why they did that on such a small line.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I recall one of the most important things is to make sure your sand is very dry so you don't create a big ol pipe bomb when the moisture turns to steam.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's how Dr. Gas use to do it for their X pipes. But I don't remember them heating the pipe, just pack full of sand and bend it on one of those mufler shop benders. I did some electricial work in his shop and watched his guys do it all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts