460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 22 MAG and came across a few made by Savage arms under the Stevens name. They are priced right and I am not looking for a perfect collectors rifle. I just want something that is dependable and holds a pattern (accurate). Anyone own a newer one and have input?

thanks

stephen

·
Registered
454 Posts
rifle

savage/stevens rifles are good rifles,i've owned a few.norinco rifles have a better barrel,it's hardened.they hold a better pattern also.pat

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
I only have Ruger m77's way better and can change barrels when I wear them out instead of throwing them in the trash..... on my 17 HMR I am on my 4th Barrel, they last about 70,000 rounds..S.S. fluted Bull :eek:

Randy

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
Hard to beat the 17 hmr. I have one. The pattern is great. Put the cats eye from bsa and shoot away.

I use a 6x24x50 NC Star. if you can't see them you can't kill them. I shoot mine at 50 to 350 yards regularly. Take a head shot @ 200+ yards or smaller targets using my 17 HMR..

Randy

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just realized that I posted this in the wrong forum. I know there are a lot better rifles out there than what I am looking at, but I was wondering about this model.

Damn Randy, 70,000 rounds per barrel and you are on your 4th barrel? WTF? How can you afford that much ammo?

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
Steven I think right now I am down to like 25 to 30,000 rounds on the shelf. I am going to try and make it this year without ordering any ammo. I need to cut back on my shooting....:eek: if you are curious how much brass I went thro in a little over a year .17 bras is just a 22 mag necked down to 17 cal. a buddy and I went thru 3 5 gallon buckets full in just about a year.

Randy

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Steven I think right now I am down to like 25 to 30,000 rounds on the shelf. I am going to try and make it this year without ordering any ammo. I need to cut back on my shooting....:eek: if you are curious how much brass I went thro in a little over a year .17 bras is just a 22 mag necked down to 17 cal. a buddy and I went thru 3 5 gallon buckets full in just about a year.

Randy
You were having some fun werent ya,

I have a Savage .243 it about 4 years old now, but with the exception of my 30-06 ruger it holds the closest pattern of any of my rifles

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
I have a Marlin 17 hmr and it shoots pretty good.

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
I have a Marlin 17 hmr and it shoots pretty good.

Dave I had a Marlin it shot great just figured my gun would be used alot so I got one I could change the Barrel out on in 10 minutes and be out shooting again fast.....:D Mud 77 Yes I love shooting everday we went out we would use up a 1000 rounds a piece, and average 97 to 99% kill ratio,I also have 22 clips for my rifle.... but no one like shooting my 17HMR it has a .08 oz trigger. Never close the bolt unless it is sighted in on the target, then close it and lightly tap the trigger and DEAD :D after we leave the Towns it looks like the war zone bodies and blood everywhere.

Randy

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Dave I had a Marlin it shot great just figured my gun would be used alot so I got one I could change the Barrel out on in 10 minutes and be out shooting again fast.....:D Mud 77 Yes I love shooting everday we went out we would use up a 1000 rounds a piece, and average 97 to 99% kill ratio,I also have 22 clips for my rifle.... but no one like shooting my 17HMR it has a .08 oz trigger. Never close the bolt unless it is sighted in on the target, then close it and lightly tap the trigger and DEAD :D after we leave the Towns it looks like the war zone bodies and blood everywhere.

Randy
It is fun to just set back and cut 30 rounds loose in a matter of seconds:D Havent in a while but we would take two of 550 round bricks for the .22 ruger and shot them in an hour or two, doing anything from slow pin point shoting to seeing who could unload the 10round clip the fastest while hitting the target the most:D
my nieghbor (the good one):D has a marlin .17 and we use to set old golf balls up on a peice of 3/4 pvc and see who could hit it at 250+ yds

1 - 12 of 12 Posts