460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 429 SCJ intake at the wrecking yard for $25. The Ford performance book says you can gain some HP buy port matching stock heads and using this manifold. Is ths true? Will I lose bottem end from the huge ports? I am putting toghether a 460 with the Fuel injection pistons and D3 heads, should be close to 9-1 comp. The cam is a mild RV grind with less than 500 lift. It is going in a 77 F350 that is used for hauling and pulling my car trailer. Should I just use a stock dove intake? I need to keep the bottom and midrange torque. Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
It takes alot of grinding to port match DOVE's to a SCJ intake. For your application I would just bolt the intake on and go. Alot of marine engines were run this way and I have done it myself. Be sure and use intake gaskets for the SCJ intake, or it won't seal.

·
Premium Member
9,146 Posts
Tom C said:
I picked up a 429 SCJ intake at the wrecking yard for $25. The Ford performance book says you can gain some HP buy port matching stock heads and using this manifold. Is ths true? Will I lose bottem end from the huge ports? I am putting toghether a 460 with the Fuel injection pistons and D3 heads, should be close to 9-1 comp. The cam is a mild RV grind with less than 500 lift. It is going in a 77 F350 that is used for hauling and pulling my car trailer. Should I just use a stock dove intake? I need to keep the bottom and midrange torque. Thanks

Although the scj iron intake will offer some HP improvements at higher rpm even with a mismatch I belive you would be better served by retaining the stock dove intake or mabey a performer with a 1" 4 hole spacer. Especially true if the D3's horrible exhaust ports are not addressed.:!:

8)

·
Registered
26 Posts
How about with ported DOVE heads and 10:1?

Would a SCJ (or CJ) be a good selection? I have a set of DOVE heads with CJ valves, intaked matched to CJ, and heaviliy ported exhaust heavily. This motor is set for 10:1 CR quench distance of 0.035, headman headers. It will be a 5 speed and used in an F250 with 3.54:1 gears. The cam is a true RV grind from comp. Is the CJ manifold too much for this application and should I use the stock DOVE 4v intake?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have cleaned up and ported the exh on my D3 heads. I am still wondering if I could run the SCJ intake with a 750 carb. Will I lose the low end power?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Tom C said:
Theoretically it should hurt the low end performance, and theoretically the heads should be port matched to it, but dyno tests have proven otherwise.
An iron SCJ intake was good for close to 30 h.p. on a really mild (maybe stock) 460 without a port match (compared to stock D0VE intake). After port-match dyno numbers were identical. Conclusion was the port match was a waste of time in this perticular instance. This test was done way back before any decent after-market intakes were available for the BBF.

Some friends of mine here in TX run a mild hyd cam 460 in a 3,000# mustang with stock un-ported D0VE heads and a CJ port Stealth. Runs 10.7's consistently. Naturally asperated.

Another example of this bass-ackwards port mismatch deal. Back in the late 70's a buddy of mine had a 427 Chevelle with stock oval-port heads and a rectangle-port tunnel-ram with a single 3-barrel holley. Ran way better than one would have suspected, and had LOADS of torque. Was daily driven, ran 12's and probably weighed 4,000#

If you have the parts... Run 'em. It will work better than it "should". ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts