460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
All you need is the buyers postal code, your zip code, dimensions of the box and the USPS postage calculator. Click here --> http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.aspx?Mode=Intl_Single&CID=10054

Do the buyer a favour, DON'T ship via UPS (unless they want it shipped that way)! They are nothing more then a bunch of money grabbing gomers when it comes to cross border shipping.

I.E - I bought a new tailgate protector for my truck. Purchase price 80.00 USD. Shipping 30.00 USD. UPS brokerage fees were 45.00 plus a handling fee of 5.00!!! :x

Then there was the time I was charged a hazadarous material fee for a driveshaft I bought in MI due to grease on it... :x :x

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Is it new or used? I don't think you pay brokerage if it is a "gift". If it is new why not just buy in Canada? The dollar is so good you can usually get just as good as a deal.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Best to ship by mail if the declared value is over $20. CAD. Courier services will charge a brokerage fee and taxes on the goods and their service on shipments to Canada over $20. CAD.

Another option and what I usually do is have the shipment sent to the UPS store at a the closest border town. (20 minutes for me) I pick the shipment up there and "broker" it myself at customs. The Canadian customs agent actually does the red tape, which takes only a few minutes.

If the goods are sent as a gift the value must be less than $60. CAD. And remember, ALL goods must have a value for customs even if it's just $1. Always include an "invoice" with a description of the goods and the value of each item and the total, or the shipment could be held up at customs.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I don't think you can ship an item that heavy throught USPS. You should be able to ship it UPS and set the value below $60 and send it as a gift. Make sure and mark it used. There should be no duty or brokerage for a gift item but there are limitations (that is where the dollar value comes in). My wife send gifts home to her sister and mom all the time and never pays and brokerage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts