460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an owner of many vintage Mustangs, I'm thinking of something different for my next BBF build. I'm thinking about Torinos as my first car was a 75 (go Starsky and Hutch, LOL). Yes it was a boat, but wow the under hood room!

So to stay vintage and cool, ie to really justify the expenditure I'm limited to one year for NO shock towers and the vintage body of a 72'. This is a narrow search.

So question of those in know: How much if any more room do the early Torinos 67-71 offer over the 64-70 Mustangs for the 385? Yes, I could also go the simple route of suspension swap, but am looking into alternatives to cutting out shock towers. Or should I, not in a hurry, just hold out for the 72 model year for room.

TIA for ideas, knowledge and just plain opinions.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mustang and Torino engine compartments are the same except for Boss 429 and early Mustang. Hope this helps. Hold out for a 72 if you want the room.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Jeff. I had to assume with the suspension geometry similarities that the shock towers had to be very similar too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Like Jeff said the mustangs and fairlane / torinos have same engine compartment. 460 headers and 428 headers will fit both stangs and fairlane / torinos. Another option is a 71 - 73 mustang which came with the 429 engine option up to and including the SCJ.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts