460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally worked out a deal with a guy in IL to get rid of the Bronco in trade for a 2001 Mustang Cobra. It's currently already built but I'll need to upgrade a few things after next season.
Currently its an E85 injected 460 sporting a mostly stock bottom end so I'll be shifting really early- like 5000 RPMs.
It has some worked-over Pro Comp heads with some general clean-up and all Lunatti valve train. That wouldn't have been my 1st choice, but it seems to run-out pretty well.
Edelbrock Intake with direct port 120lb injectors and the Holley HP EFI Live system and computer.
Single 75mm turbo with all custom tigged headers, intake tubes and a huge intercooler.
Built C6 and a manual valve body, 8.8 with 373's and a posi.

Now for the fun stuff. With the current 8# settings it pulls 675 HP and 850TQ at the wheels, and at 18# it's pulling 975HP and over 1000TQ all before 5K.

The PO sent all of the dyno sheets along with the packet of info on the engine build and tuning sessions.

The car will get some panels re-shot this winter and I plan on just having some fun with it next season.

Next year I'll freshen-up the engine with a forged crank, some H-beams and forged pistons. At that time I'll evaluate the heads and upgrade if necessary. That might be a good time to upgrade to some blue thunder valve location heads since the pistons will be getting replaced anyways.

Here's some current pics:

So now for the big question. IF this thing actually hooks up, what do you experts think this thing will run in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome to the big block new edge fan club lol... very nice set up, post up a video of the beast doing a burn out

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do! I found a couple little quirky things that need to addressed before I start putting any miles on it though. The rear brakes are pretty much non-existent. I made a couple adjustments to the adjustable proportional valve and the input rod for the MC. We'll re-bleed the lines this weekend and see how it runs out after that.
When I did take it for a little spin, it lit the rears up so quickly that it was almost effortless. It felt like I just hit an icy patch in the road. All spin and not hardly any forward movement. I guess I'm going to have to drop the tire pressure WAY down to even have a chance of hooking up with this thing lol!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
December update: It was fun while it lasted! 3rd time out it started getting a pretty loud clatter so I pulled the trans hoping to find a cracked flexplate- no such luck. :mad:
#7 rod bearing spun so I've been collecting parts for the last couple months. I currently have some JE forged flat-tops, H-beams, and a fresh crank. I just received a call from the machine shop yesterday that the block has been checked out, cleaned up and re-honed as well as the new rotating assembly all internally balanced.

I need to get another 521 build buttoned-up over the next 2 weeks and then I'll start assembling this beast.
On the top I'm bumping up the valve spring pressure a little bit- the old ones only tested at 100 lbs at the seat so I'm not sure if it was floating valves over 4700 R's or if the rev limiter was just set that low.

Either way I should see some drastic HP improvement now that it will be set up to twist north of 6K and not have to worry about something letting go. :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not yet... I'm picking everything up from the machine shop Friday morning.
There is a sexy new spoiler in flat black primer on the trunk though. :D
I'm still deciding what to coat it in. I want to find something black with some texture to it to match the mirrors. I'm going for a retro- early 70's look.

Come to think of it- this is turning into a complete build and not just a dyno'd engine. Maybe this should be switched to the build section?

Pic of spoiler:

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Sweet, I would paint it gloss black it would set it off nice.

D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get some Steeda sway bars , springs and shocks , 18x9 in front , 18x10 rear . Go to the TEXAS MILE an then THE SILVER STATE CLASSIC here in Nevada .

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get some Steeda sway bars , springs and shocks , 18x9 in front , 18x10 rear . Go to the TEXAS MILE an then THE SILVER STATE CLASSIC here in Nevada .
That sounds like too much work lol! I got this thing so that I could have something fun to cruise around in and mess with people. I doubt that I'm even going to take it to the track this year.

Everything is back from the machine shop and looks great. I should have it back together by the end of January and then I'm going to freshen-up the trans before I drop them both in.

I have 2 customer builds to do before I really get going on this thing, but I'm not in a rush. Winter really hasn't even started here yet and I'm sure that it will be too cold and snowy to take it out until the end of April. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He's a little mid-winter update. The engine is pretty much together, but I'm not real happy with the rocker tip location so I'm working on getting another set lined up. That's about the only thing keeping me from bolting on the tins and dropping it in the hole. If you look close in the 1st pic you can see the 521 I just finished up in the background. :cool:
Update pics:

·
Registered
666 Posts
:eek::D looking good man can't wait to see some vids its going to be a beast

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looks great! Is that the EFI intake from Edelbrock? Based on the Torker II right?

Jess

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's just a regular torker II with the bungs welded in and the injectors and fuel rails installed. They did a really nice job with the tig work.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts