460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Kinda neat but I think it would be a hard sell in Georgia right now. LOL How does it keep from contaminating the oil would be my biggest concern. I also don't know if it would be feasible in my neck of the woods as we get kinda cool here in the winter, and ice doesn't flow too well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That is interesting. I wonder what the NVH characteristics are like. I would expect the gas power stroke to be a lot more powerful than the steam power stroke. It's kind of like double hitting a golf ball. I'm sure the NVH problems can be worked out. I wonder about corrosion though with all that water running through the engine.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I got to meet Bruce Crower and see his prototype engine a few years ago. I was out in San Diego helping my daugher Gina race her Jet Drag Boat. Bruce's son Danny built Gina's engine and I had the rare treat to go to Bruce's shop and meet him.

Bruce is a genious with engines and has been a peformance pioneer for as long as I can remember.

I only hope he can recover from his illness so he can finish his 6-stroke engine developement.

D

·
0 Posts
I don't tink corosion would be a big issue, hes still hitting it with gas one cycle too, shoud keep everything hot and dry inside.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Leave it to Bruce Crower. He is so sharp. If anybody can solve lingering issues with the concept he can. I was fortunate to get a custom turbo cam from his company many years ago for my 66 stang.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Wow, that's just plain impressive!

However, I predict the anti-everything crowd will begin harping about using up our precious water in 3... 2... 1...

Brad

·
Registered
823 Posts
Seems like a damn good idea to me. If it can be made to work reliably it ought to make more power and be more efficient with less gas.

I don't know about all that 'valvetrain contriburing to power via upper piston' stuff, as you only get X amount of power out of each power stroke. So now less is used to drive the main piston downward and the rest is used to drive the upper piston up, with less parasitic loss to valvetrain since it's a rotary valve (no heavy valvesprings to compress, less mass moving in the head).

I hope thsi takes off, because it certainly has benefits in fuel consumption, power, and it ought to keep the pistons pretty clean too! Wonder what kind of issues there are in the long term with moisture in the oil? Lots of PSI of steam, so surely some gets past the rings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts