460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to hang around here and on the old network54 site a couple years back, but life caught up with me and I've had a lot more to concentrate on than an old car... but...

Ironic as it may be, higher gas prices have caused me to rethink my normal recreational habits, which have involved a lot of driving, and I'm trying to cut back. Due to the money I'm saving, continuing work on my car is now a much bigger possibility. The stage I'm at right now is bodywork- there's quite a bit of rust on the car and the roof is terrible (curse that funky 70's vinyl!). But after that I can start gathering up pieces for the engine.

I'm looking at doing a 521- .030 over with a 4.3 stroke and I'd like to use as many "off-the-shelf" parts as I can. My problem is, I forget most of the stuff I was looking at back when I was still actively pursuing this project. I was planning on using the edelbrock heads and RPM intake, one of the comp XE cams, probably a scat stroker kit. I'm just not totally clear on all the "little" things... what cc for the heads and piston dish, proper pushrod length for the roller rockers, if I'll need taller valve covers, what my hood clearance will be like, etc...

I'm not looking for anything crazy. It's a 1975 Elite, factory 460, and I want a a reliable, torque-monster cruiser that I can have fun with, annihilate 275-width tires, and raise some eyebrows. It's already served me very well in the past (used to be my daily driver) and I just want to get it to the next level. I've done a lot of suspension work and it rides and corners like a dream, it's got a great duel exhaust I had done years ago, the interior is almost new, and it's got more than a few new parts on the engine and it operates perfectly with about 80,000 miles on it.

Ok, well, I just wanted to say hello and give a little rundown on what I've got going on here. I might ask a few simple questions some time to time, but I'm really looking forward to getting back into this hobby.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ryan,
Welcome back.
I did your 521 with big chamber Edels and flat tops comes out to be about 10.8 to one. It is good with 93 octane and 34 degrees timing on a 70 Torino. I am using the stamped Edel valve covers without any interference. 3/8ths pushrods with Harland Sharp roller rockers worked well.
Street tires can be dangerous.
Good luck.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts