460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the store next to my house tonight, and the employees were trying to delay checking out a customer that was drunk while they waited for the Sheriff's dept. to show up. Well after about 10 min. they finally checked the guy out and let him leave. One of the girls runs outside to try and get the guy to stop, but he gets in his truck and drives off. When I got outside, she said she couldn't get to him in time and he drove off.

I saw him driving down the road, so I got in my truck and gave chase. I finally got him pulled over and helped the deputy get him boxed in because when the deputy came up behind him, he tried to outrun him, so I used my 99 Super Duty as a gate and got him blocked in so the deputy could cover the back.

My daughter was with me and asked why I followed him, I said it's guys like that is why your mom is in a wheel chair the rest of her life. Why should it happen to someone else because of an idiot. :evil: :evil:

I feel better now... :D

Just thought I'd share...

Doug... 8)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Doug,

Hopefully the guy will have some some time to think about what he did and maybe learn from it. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, they don't learn :roll: Good goin' :wink:

Rick S.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Way to go !! I wish it was taken more serious around here. Seems like everyone around here drinks and drives, but little if anything is done. :roll:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
8)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
cool 8) good job!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
As someone who has had two friends killed by drunk drivers, and has spent countless hours volunteering with MADD, I thank you and commend you.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Doug

I understand your reasoning, with the invention of the cell phone I have been known to do aid in several "call in' for drunk drivers. For some reason our local police will not take a call in assistance from a citizen.

I was the victim of a drunk driver at a young age on a motorcycle at highway speed. Even wearing a helmet I have a metal plate and they were able to nut/bolt me back together. I clink and clank when I walk but I consider myself to be one of the fortunate ones.

The drunk driving laws apparently are still not severe enough . Drunk driving accidents continues to be the second highest percentage of deaths on the roadways. What don’t a person understand more than 1or 2 casual drinks and your *** don’t get behind the wheel. I personally think that forfeiture of your vehicle along with the norm of correction is more fitting.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Some laws can have harsher and harsher penalties but that doesn't fix the problem. Drunk driving is one of them. It may help a tiny bit to fine $5000 compared to $100, but most drunk driver types don't even ponder a fine or consequences when they're drunk. Therefore, increased penalties is not the answer. I fully support requiring classes and also a breath-test disable be installed in the person's car. If someone is a repeat offender (more than once) then I think it should be put on their driver's license that they are not allowed to buy alcohol, along with the breath disable device in their car.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Doug you have a lot more composure than I would have had in that instance. I would have shot a big ole hole in the block of his vehicle, and said now try to get away. I've got a couple of guns that would do the trick nicely. 8)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good job Doug, I like your thinking and your name. I just got home from the hospital a few minutes ago because my grandmother got hit by a drunk driver going to a church function the guy driving was killed and his wife was really injured. This happen last year on May 28, 2007. She still has yet to walk from the accident so yesterday had to go in again for the same surgery as before with 2 steel plates 3 screws each side and a bone graft hoping this one actually takes. The kid has been charged 11 times with things related to drugs or drinking but was still out driving. He goes into court Monday to see if he can get his bond lowered so that he is able to get out after the last time getting bonded and going straight to the liquor store and buying alcohol. Of course against his order of release so luckily he was sent back. I disagree Scott with such a dumb statement. The problem you do not see is that the biggest problem with drunk driving and accidents are with those that are repeat offenders where harsher penalties would have a man alive today. Guy up in Knoxville just last month had killed a mother of 2 small children and he had 14 prior convictions on his rap sheet including a wreck with bodily injuring while impaired already. The biggest problem is the most he can face if convicted is 6-8 years. The guy that hit my grandmother has 6 alcohol related counts against him including vehicular homicide. They said because it was alcohol related he had no ill will to kill, the most he gets if convicted of all 6 accounts is 2-3 years which he will be able to use his time served to count towards that while awaiting trial. Our court systems are the most screwed up in the world. You kill a man or cause a lifetime of suffering or pain because of a bad choice like alcohol and driving minimum you should spend is 25 if not life. I promise it would make me and many others think twice.

thanks
Doug

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I see what you mean, cobrakid. 14 convictions, 11 prior charges related to drugs/alcohol... that's crazy to me too. Do these people with these convictions keep their driving licenses and what steps are taken to prevent them from driving drunk (or even getting drunk to begin with)? I'm a bit confused on your last sentence. Does it mean you have experience with drunk driving and you've thought it over and weighed the risks before beginning the process yourself?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts