460 Ford Forum banner

So, what did you do tonight????????

2K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  psquare75 
#1 ·
I went to the store next to my house tonight, and the employees were trying to delay checking out a customer that was drunk while they waited for the Sheriff's dept. to show up. Well after about 10 min. they finally checked the guy out and let him leave. One of the girls runs outside to try and get the guy to stop, but he gets in his truck and drives off. When I got outside, she said she couldn't get to him in time and he drove off.

I saw him driving down the road, so I got in my truck and gave chase. I finally got him pulled over and helped the deputy get him boxed in because when the deputy came up behind him, he tried to outrun him, so I used my 99 Super Duty as a gate and got him blocked in so the deputy could cover the back.

My daughter was with me and asked why I followed him, I said it's guys like that is why your mom is in a wheel chair the rest of her life. Why should it happen to someone else because of an idiot. :evil: :evil:

I feel better now... :D

Just thought I'd share...

Doug... 8)

See less See more
#16 ·
Doug

I understand your reasoning, with the invention of the cell phone I have been known to do aid in several "call in' for drunk drivers. For some reason our local police will not take a call in assistance from a citizen.

I was the victim of a drunk driver at a young age on a motorcycle at highway speed. Even wearing a helmet I have a metal plate and they were able to nut/bolt me back together. I clink and clank when I walk but I consider myself to be one of the fortunate ones.

The drunk driving laws apparently are still not severe enough . Drunk driving accidents continues to be the second highest percentage of deaths on the roadways. What don’t a person understand more than 1or 2 casual drinks and your *** don’t get behind the wheel. I personally think that forfeiture of your vehicle along with the norm of correction is more fitting.

#17 ·
Some laws can have harsher and harsher penalties but that doesn't fix the problem. Drunk driving is one of them. It may help a tiny bit to fine $5000 compared to $100, but most drunk driver types don't even ponder a fine or consequences when they're drunk. Therefore, increased penalties is not the answer. I fully support requiring classes and also a breath-test disable be installed in the person's car. If someone is a repeat offender (more than once) then I think it should be put on their driver's license that they are not allowed to buy alcohol, along with the breath disable device in their car.

#18 ·
Doug you have a lot more composure than I would have had in that instance. I would have shot a big ole hole in the block of his vehicle, and said now try to get away. I've got a couple of guns that would do the trick nicely. 8)

#19 ·
Good job Doug, I like your thinking and your name. I just got home from the hospital a few minutes ago because my grandmother got hit by a drunk driver going to a church function the guy driving was killed and his wife was really injured. This happen last year on May 28, 2007. She still has yet to walk from the accident so yesterday had to go in again for the same surgery as before with 2 steel plates 3 screws each side and a bone graft hoping this one actually takes. The kid has been charged 11 times with things related to drugs or drinking but was still out driving. He goes into court Monday to see if he can get his bond lowered so that he is able to get out after the last time getting bonded and going straight to the liquor store and buying alcohol. Of course against his order of release so luckily he was sent back. I disagree Scott with such a dumb statement. The problem you do not see is that the biggest problem with drunk driving and accidents are with those that are repeat offenders where harsher penalties would have a man alive today. Guy up in Knoxville just last month had killed a mother of 2 small children and he had 14 prior convictions on his rap sheet including a wreck with bodily injuring while impaired already. The biggest problem is the most he can face if convicted is 6-8 years. The guy that hit my grandmother has 6 alcohol related counts against him including vehicular homicide. They said because it was alcohol related he had no ill will to kill, the most he gets if convicted of all 6 accounts is 2-3 years which he will be able to use his time served to count towards that while awaiting trial. Our court systems are the most screwed up in the world. You kill a man or cause a lifetime of suffering or pain because of a bad choice like alcohol and driving minimum you should spend is 25 if not life. I promise it would make me and many others think twice.

thanks
Doug

#20 ·
I see what you mean, cobrakid. 14 convictions, 11 prior charges related to drugs/alcohol... that's crazy to me too. Do these people with these convictions keep their driving licenses and what steps are taken to prevent them from driving drunk (or even getting drunk to begin with)? I'm a bit confused on your last sentence. Does it mean you have experience with drunk driving and you've thought it over and weighed the risks before beginning the process yourself?

#21 ·
cobrakid8 said:
I promise it would make me and many others think twice./quote]

Scott- I think what he is saying that it would make people think about the consequences. He is saying the same thing I am. Make the consequences something they fear.

They way I see it everyone reacts to consequences differently. The fact that I can go to the bar have a couple Jack/cokes and be close enough to the legal limit to risk a DUI is enough of a message for me….I don’t do it.

If people are willing to risk drunk driving even at the risk of several bears than the punishments is not near harsh enough. Limiting them to a “no buy alcohol” card is only going to work on the honest people that don’t have the problem to begin with.

I’m an electrician I can hold 2 wires that go nowhere to people and say “touch this” and they won’t risk it even though common sense tells them the wire isn’t connected. I do it all the time….. It is called FEAR and when fear is present trust is very limited.

Cobrakid says throw their *** in jail for 25yrs and I agree.

#23 ·
Thanks guys, I have an absolute 0 tolerance for drunk drivers... I agree, we need to impose much stiffer penalties for these people... There should be 0 tolerance period... I know, Scott's gonna come on and say, well some of these guys just deserve a chance to make up for their screw up... Even though they killed or nearly killed someone... My wife, and others who were not so fortunate deserved a chance too... A chance to live their lives in a normal fashion... Watch their kids grow, and do things as a family...My wife, and probably 90+% of the others never saw it coming... My wife was struck in the driver's side door at 45 mph in her Lincoln Mark VIII... She suffered the same injuries that killed Dale Earnhardt, so she was very fortunate... The broad that hit her was high on Meth (at 9:00 AM) Drugs or booze, it's all the same when you're behind the wheel... This gal got 26 years in prison with 13 suspended... They said they wanted her to get out when she was still young enough to get a job and start paying the $52,000.00 + in restitution that she was ordered to pay... She was 46 at the time of the accident... Yeah, like we're EVER gonna see that happen... Big deal, she gets 13 years of free room and board that I'm paying for from my taxes, along with other taxpayers... Why would she want to change that???

The punishment my wife and my family got is FAR worse than what she got... When I go racing, my wife has to sit home and wait for me to bring the video camera home so she can see how I did... Because she is unable to go... Hopefully, we may have figured out a way she may be able to try the trip this weekend... It's not looking good though... For the most part, she's horrified to get in a vehicle again, not to mention the fact that she can't make extended trips of more than 10-20 min.

Yeah schmitty, I kept my cool pretty well... Every time I looked at the guy, I thought of how helpless I was when I spent just short of a month in the ICU at my wife's bedside, praying to God that she would come out of her coma... Then, watching as she went through almost 5 months of therapy before we could bring her home... And still having to do therapy every day... And listening to her cry most every night, almost all night sometimes from the pain... And you talk about harsh penalties... I guess it's a good thing my 13 yr. old daughter was with me... What's sad is on my way home this evening after picking up my daughter and her friends from the movies, I saw that scumbag hitch-hiking back to his truck... Looks like he's getting another chance to try again... When the deputy came to my house and got my statement today, he said the guy was more than 3 times the legal limit... I told him I saw the guy hitching on the way home and never wanted to swerve so bad in my life as when I saw that guy tonight...

Well that's my rant...

Like I said 0 tolerance!!!!!!!

Doug... 8)

#26 ·
Just trust me when I say, I was prepared if a situation arose... :wink:
Besides, I've got God on my side... :wink:

Doug... 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.