460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the sealed power hv oil pump with pickup from summit, it's about 1/2" shorter than the stock assembly from my 78 town car. I cant find a longer bolt on pickup, is anyone aware of a slightly longer pickup, or would it be safe to cleanout and reuse my original pickup? Also is there a spec on clearance for the pump drive shaft? The ARP shaft seems to come dangerously close to a portion of the crank shaft weight, about .050" is this ok? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
Front sump BBF passenger cars use a melling M84 or equivalent which used a press in pick up.

What part number oil pump did you remove?

An HV pump is rarely necessary in a mild build.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Premium Member
5,588 Posts
I bought the sealed power hv oil pump with pickup from summit, it's about 1/2" shorter than the stock assembly from my 78 town car. I cant find a longer bolt on pickup, is anyone aware of a slightly longer pickup, or would it be safe to cleanout and reuse my original pickup? Also is there a spec on clearance for the pump drive shaft? The ARP shaft seems to come dangerously close to a portion of the crank shaft weight, about .050" is this ok? Thanks
The dimensions between the Sealed Power and Melling pumps, STD & HV, are identical between them. Yes, you could clean out your original pickup if that's where the dimensional differences between the two lie. You should post a picture of both pumps and pickups if you are uncertain.

Also, be sure to measure the overall length of the ARP shaft and compare it to the OEM pump shaft--many ARP shafts are a bit too long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot the original pump has press fit pickup, pump part number is C8SE-A
I wanted to run a high volume pump because my main bearings ended up around .0035"
My oil pan depth is measuring 8.75", the seal power 22441139V high volume pump said its made for "stock" oil pan depth which they must be figuring 8.00" because that seems to be the depth of most oe replacement pans for the 460. I guess the Lincolns had deeper pans. Looks like 2 options are keep the seal power pump and buy an 8" deep pan or return for the melling 84ehv-s made for 8.625" to use with my pan, seems most people have clearance issues with this pump guess I'm lucky with the Lincoln pan. The ARP drive isn't too long but still seems dangerously close to one point on the crank. I wonder if different pumps might position the drive slightly differently giving better clearance to the crank.

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
The pump on the left is an M84B style CJ HV pump.

Typically when bolted on the block the pick up depth is greater than the OEM pump. .250" give or take.

The OEM pump is available in an HV version.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The M84B style pump I bought is actually 3/4" SHORTER than my stock pump when bolted to the block. The Melling HV pumps on Summit have a couple different pan depth options. Whats the technically corrrect way to measure the pan to order the pump? I'm just putting a straight edge across the top of the pan and measuring from the center of the front sump and getting 8.75"

·
Premium Member
5,588 Posts
The OEM passenger car pans are 8.50”, the SCJ 8.75”. Forget the Summit 8.00” pan—they are a fluke and/or a mistake if you ask me.

My advice is to return the M84BHV style, front sump Sealed Power pump and instead use a Melling M84DHV rear sump style oil pump with a Canton 15-763 bolt-on pickup tube (which enables you to use the rear sump style pumps with an OEM depth front sump pan). The rear sump D series oil pumps provide better overall oil pressure than the front sump B series pump designs.

·
Premium Member
9,270 Posts
The OEM passenger car pans are 8.50”, the SCJ 8.75”. Forget the Summit 8.00” pan—they are a fluke and/or a mistake if you ask me.

My advice is to return the M84BHV style, front sump Sealed Power pump and instead use a Melling M84DHV rear sump style oil pump with a Canton 15-763 bolt-on pickup tube (which enables you to use the rear sump style pumps with an OEM depth front sump pan). The rear sump D series oil pumps provide better overall oil pressure than the front sump B series pump designs.

Second this. I've done it.

I measured 7 front sump passenger car pans and they varied in depth from 8.25 to just under 8.5 and 2 were non CJ non baffled pans at 8.75"

These were take offs.

SJ
used 2b RHP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts