460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the sealed power hv oil pump with pickup from summit, it's about 1/2" shorter than the stock assembly from my 78 town car. I cant find a longer bolt on pickup, is anyone aware of a slightly longer pickup, or would it be safe to cleanout and reuse my original pickup? Also is there a spec on clearance for the pump drive shaft? The ARP shaft seems to come dangerously close to a portion of the crank shaft weight, about .050" is this ok? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Front sump BBF passenger cars use a melling M84 or equivalent which used a press in pick up.

What part number oil pump did you remove?

An HV pump is rarely necessary in a mild build.

SJ
used 2b RHP

·
Premium Member
5,579 Posts
I bought the sealed power hv oil pump with pickup from summit, it's about 1/2" shorter than the stock assembly from my 78 town car. I cant find a longer bolt on pickup, is anyone aware of a slightly longer pickup, or would it be safe to cleanout and reuse my original pickup? Also is there a spec on clearance for the pump drive shaft? The ARP shaft seems to come dangerously close to a portion of the crank shaft weight, about .050" is this ok? Thanks
The dimensions between the Sealed Power and Melling pumps, STD & HV, are identical between them. Yes, you could clean out your original pickup if that's where the dimensional differences between the two lie. You should post a picture of both pumps and pickups if you are uncertain.

Also, be sure to measure the overall length of the ARP shaft and compare it to the OEM pump shaft--many ARP shafts are a bit too long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts