460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to put Sparco seats in the car, 1970 Torino. Seat brackets available from Sparco and others are for 64-73 Mustang and 67-71 Thunderbird.

Which one would fit better? Searched all over the internet for measurements or pics and came up with very little. I know that the Mustang bracket is supposedly narrower and the floor where it's mounted is flat. Can't find hardly anything at all about the T-bird seat brackets or mounting area.

Drilling new holes is fine with me, but if one is easier to fit than the other, that would be great. I made 1.5" spacers for the rear inside seat corner so I can use a flat bracket if the mounting pattern is correct or anywhere close. Any ideas? Sounds like the Mustang one will be easier but I wanna know for sure! Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got the measurements of all the flat Ford-style brackets from 425 Motorsports in WA, who do the R&D for the Sparco brackets. Gonna get the Mustang ones and drill at least three new holes. Here's what I learned, for posterity:

bucket seat mount hole pattern in inches:
70-71 Torino: ~9.5 front to back, ~15.5 side to side
64-73 Mustang: 11.125 front to back, 14.0 side to side
67-71 Thunderbird: 13.375 front side, 13.25 back side, 9.125 door side, 8.75 console side

I'm going to index the bracket at either one of the existing front holes, depending on which one lines the seat up better with the steering wheel. Either way there's plenty of room around the mounts to go back a bit and side to side a bit.

Worried about reducing the strength of the mounting area by drilling extra holes too near the existing ones? Found these to weld under the mounts or just stick under the floor when you bolt in:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/REINFORCEMENT- ... SwQsZdVwNu

1 - 2 of 2 Posts