460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I thought it would be a good idea to convert my engine to efi... years later I'm finalizing the project :unsure::p

What I got in my garage is a 508 cui rebuild engine converted to efi with a microsquirt module (8 injector) for fuel and spark. Also switched to a distributerless EDIS 8 ignition.
Dove-c Heads with stock valve and compression ratio of 10:1 Mild Compcams 270H cam, hooker headers. Edelbrook performer intake. 95 octane fuel

After this is my first efi project, I'm a little overwhelmed with all the settings.

The engine starts well and after a little adjustment of the fuel table to a usable lambda I have to adjust the ignition.
The ignition is the topic where I need some tutoring.
I use the predefined timing map from tuner studios which you can see below:

You see the spark advance over engine speed and MAP pressure on the y axis

With this spark map I get glowing headers at high idle (1600rpm) with no load as you can see in this video:

Youtube vid

Maybe one of you can give me some tips or a basic curve to start with, where I don't have to be a fraid to damage the engine?

My sparkplug does not look all the same, maybe kinda strange.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
146 Posts
Running very lean on cylinders with glowing primaries. Not good and could have several different root causes. If crank compression is even and those are known good, balanced injectors, suggest fatten the fuel ratio. Start cold and monitor primary temps at idle with an IR gun. Should rise at similar rates. Bump up to 1k and monitor again. Should not glow except under heavy load... not good on the pistons nor valve / seats.

To answer your question, the initial ignition curve would be similar from carb to efi conversion. So, use the ignition curve mapped out from the carb w/ conventional distributor setup as a starting point. Tweak it slightly from there after it is driveable.

Remember: only make one change at a time and verify it is good before making another change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and up with the old topic

you wouldn't believe it, but two years later i'm still stuck with the same problem.

were very turbulent times, two children new job and not a meter driven with the car since then.

I can't get my idle below 1000 rpm and the engine is running at an AFR of 14.7 with an exhaust temperature of 700°C and a slightly glowing manifold.

Does anyone have a useful tip regarding the ignition map

·
Registered
742 Posts
First thing I would do is check for any vacuum leaks. If you can’t get it to idle down that’s a big problem. Also unmetered air from a vacuum leak with play hell with you’re AFR’s.

·
Registered
46 Posts
First observations - your fuel distribution (or oil control) is poor, possibly vacuum leaks. Glowing headers can also be incorrect base timing, so check your Trigger Angle with fixed timing and a timing light to confirm it's correct, then at higher rpm again for possible timing drift.

So much of a tune is in the base settings, everything from injector latency to dwell voltage corrections; so I would suggest posting a run log and the tune file (*.msq) used to take it, for review of anything obvious. Your run logs are where you "see" what the engine response is for diagnostic tuning. Your tune file is for the foundation of settings that it uses with the fuel and spark tables to create proper fueling and timing. Set a solid foundation with as many correct settings as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts