460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Registered
Would it even fit in your application?
Need for cog drive/high torque transfer is dependent on electrical load. What does alternator have to run?

Registered
FWIW, I modified my stock 460 crank shaft pulley to accept a multi-rib pulley from an 80's Mercury Grand Marquis to drive my large case 130 amp 3G alternator, no more belt slippage or belt squealing. Required a bit of welding(one shown here were just spot welds to hold it in place while the "other" welding was done). Hope this gives an option.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW, I modified my stock 460 crank shaft pulley to accept a multi-rib pulley from an 80's Mercury Grand Marquis to drive my large case 130 amp 3G alternator, no more belt slippage or belt squealing. Required a bit of welding(one shown here were just spot welds to hold it in place while the "other" welding was done). Hope this gives an option.

How do you like it and the noise ?

Registered
Yay or Nay ?

I like the wider pulley for a wider belt, cog drive is less likely to slip, especially with a torque engine and higher RPM's. But I don't know about the sound, like a gear drive ?
I love the blower sound from my 1980's Pro-Street days, but that's a blower man.....馃槑 lol

The only reason to use a setup like that is because you want to or because you think it looks cool. If a 6 or 8 rib serpentine setup doesn鈥檛 have enough grip to drive you鈥檙e accessories you鈥檙e doing something wrong.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No noise(I realize not what you were looking for), been doing great for over 8 years now, but I only put about 5K miles a year on it.
What do you mean, you don't like them because of the noise, or you've had a cog drive for 8 years with 5k miles and like it ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only reason to use a setup like that is because you want to or because you think it looks cool. If a 6 or 8 rib serpentine setup doesn鈥檛 have enough grip to drive you鈥檙e accessories you鈥檙e doing something wrong.
They do look great & cool. I only have three pully's, crank, water pump and alternator. I've heard here that having 700 (+) HP/TQ can slip a V-belt.

Registered
What do you mean, you don't like them because of the noise, or you've had a cog drive for 8 years with 5k miles and like it ?
No belt noise, just like a stock Lincoln. I did this mod due to belt slippage, a single sheeve alternator pulley will allow belt slippage once you go over 100 amps +/-. To keep the V-belt from squealing required a lot of belt tension, which in the long run may cause front alternator bearing to have a short life. I just figured there was more than one way to skin this cat

Registered
They do look great & cool. I only have three pully's, crank, water pump and alternator. I've heard here that having 700 (+) HP/TQ can slip a V-belt.
If you don鈥檛 want to use a serpentine setup then you might have to use a cog drive in place of a V belt. Personally I never cared for V belts but for most of my 鈥渄riving years鈥 serpentine setups have been the norm.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If you don鈥檛 want to use a serpentine setup then you might have to use a cog drive in place of a V belt. Personally I never cared for V belts but for most of 鈥渄riving years鈥 serpentine setups have been the norm.
A serpentine setup would be fine.
Here's a nice one.

Registered
A serpentine setup would be fine.
Here's a nice one.
Personally I鈥檇 go that route but that鈥檚 why they make more than one flavor of ice cream.

Registered
There is absolutely no reason to go with a Gilmer cog drive system for accessories except to be cool. Why would you want to give away hp? These take extra hp to drive. a 6 or 8 rib serp system is perfectly fine. The factory 460 system would be fine for most unless you are using a 200 amp alternator. Easy enough to bypass the smog pump with a shorter belt. The AC system can be bypassed with a 5.0 smog pump delete idler. Find a 460 in an E series van or motorhome and it comes with a quiet saginaw pwr steering pump.

ALso think about the additional load you are placing on accessory bearings. Why shorten the life of your accessories. Cog belt drive systems are the equivalent of leaf spring mounted wheelie bars of the 80s LOL

Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
Agree with the simple serpentine setup... It's not like you're gonna need a lot of amperage in an AC Cobra...

Registered
I run a 240A alternator with a v-belt, and it does fine even when winching, which complete current limits alternator. Winch takes 400A so battery delivers the rest. Serp setup is superior but not really needed in most cases. YRMV.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is absolutely no reason to go with a Gilmer cog drive system for accessories except to be cool. Why would you want to give away hp? These take extra hp to drive. a 6 or 8 rib serp system is perfectly fine. The factory 460 system would be fine for most unless you are using a 200 amp alternator. Easy enough to bypass the smog pump with a shorter belt. The AC system can be bypassed with a 5.0 smog pump delete idler. Find a 460 in an E series van or motorhome and it comes with a quiet saginaw pwr steering pump.

ALso think about the additional load you are placing on accessory bearings. Why shorten the life of your accessories. Cog belt drive systems are the equivalent of leaf spring mounted wheelie bars of the 80s LOL
Well, it only takes 900-1,000 HP to run the Cog on a Top Fuel engine, so with my engine having 750 HP, what's the problem ? 馃 hum....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts