460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a mildly built street driven 521 in a 69 galaxie the problem is when the engine gets hot the starter drags (never drags on a cold start). I am wondering if my 2 1/2" exhaust is too close the starter? They are currently 1" apart. Is 1" close enough to cause problems with my starter getting hot? I have stock exhaust manifolds and a C6.
Also is there an easy way to see if my engine is getting to hot, i don't have gauges and was wondering if i could pull the radator cap off, let the engine run a while then stick a thermometer in? I could maybe get a cheap water temp gauge but i've never hooked one up. Also i am running the stock (newly cleaned etc) radiator which i think is 3 core which worked for years with the factory 429tj but maybe the 521 needs a 4 core?
Thanks for any advice.
Scott.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If it's a stock style starter swap it out for a PMGR starter. I'm using one of the $50 units from ebay that has been on the car for 5-6 years. Stills works perfectly and will give slightly more clearance.

Yes you need temperature gauge. A temperature gun also comes in handy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi I have a mildly built street driven 521 in a 69 galaxie the problem is when the engine gets hot the starter drags (never drags on a cold start). I am wondering if my 2 1/2" exhaust is too close the starter? They are currently 1" apart. Is 1" close enough to cause problems with my starter getting hot? I have stock exhaust manifolds and a C6.
Also is there an easy way to see if my engine is getting to hot, i don't have gauges and was wondering if i could pull the radator cap off, let the engine run a while then stick a thermometer in? I could maybe get a cheap water temp gauge but i've never hooked one up. Also i am running the stock (newly cleaned etc) radiator which i think is 3 core which worked for years with the factory 429tj but maybe the 521 needs a 4 core?
Thanks for any advice.
Scott.
The starter is probably not actually "dragging", but turning the engine more slowly for one reason or another. If it is due to the starter getting too warm heat shields or insulation can be used to help the problem. If everything is as it was when Ford sold it new, then it did the same thing then. Probably such was not the case. Something has likely changed.
You could do as you described to monitor the engine temperature, but be sure not to remove the cap from a pressurized condition. As others have suggested, having an accurate gauge is probably a good addition as you can see what the temperature is as the engine powers the car.
You'll have to monitor the operating temperature of the engine over various conditions to determine if the radiator is satisfactory. Unless you live in a very cold climate, my experience is that you can't have too much radiator.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of starter are you running?

S
I couldn't see a brand name on the starter so I'll check the receipt tomorrow but pretty sure it's not a high quality one because I got it at the local auto parts store, although I did get the "gold" model for what that's worth (pbly not much).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The starter is probably not actually "dragging", but turning the engine more slowly for one reason or another. If it is due to the starter getting too warm heat shields or insulation can be used to help the problem. If everything is as it was when Ford sold it new, then it did the same thing then. Probably such was not the case. Something has likely changed.
You could do as you described to monitor the engine temperature, but be sure not to remove the cap from a pressurized condition. As others have suggested, having an accurate gauge is probably a good addition as you can see what the temperature is as the engine powers the car.
You'll have to monitor the operating temperature of the engine over various conditions to determine if the radiator is satisfactory. Unless you live in a very cold climate, my experience is that you can't have too much radiator.
Yeah the original starter did last for years (the cars been in the family since the early 70's) but like you say I have changed a few things namely adding about a hundred cubes. I will do as you and the other folks have suggested and get a temp gauge hooked up, check my battery, check out a PMGR starter and some heat tape on my exhaust. I would like to get a bigger radiator if I can figure out where to get one.
thanks everyone for the replies.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
I couldn't see a brand name on the starter so I'll check the receipt tomorrow but pretty sure it's not a high quality one because I got it at the local auto parts store, although I did get the "gold" model for what that's worth (pbly not much).
If by chance it is the single post ford style starter used in the later 70's VS. the GM style used on the BBF in the late 60's through early 70's it may simply not have enough power to roll over a warm engine. Especially if you have 4 gauge cables.

Get a gear reduction reman starter for a 92 F250 automatic 460. This type of starter rolls over my 11 to 1 210+ cranking psi 460 easily.

S

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If by chance it is the single post ford style starter used in the later 70's VS. the GM style used on the BBF in the late 60's through early 70's it may simply not have enough power to roll over a warm engine. Especially if you have 4 gauge cables.

Get a gear reduction reman starter for a 92 F250 automatic 460. This type of starter rolls over my 11 to 1 210+ cranking psi 460 easily.

S
Thanks M.P. for the reply. How do I tell which starter I have? I'm pretty sure I have the factory style original with the selonoid on the fender. I pretty much stayed original with everything other than an electronic ignition.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Thanks M.P. for the reply. How do I tell which starter I have? I'm pretty sure I have the factory style original with the selonoid on the fender. I pretty much stayed original with everything other than an electronic ignition.

Early style has a solenoid on top of the starter. licensed from GM

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6680456&cc=1139813&jsn=437

As opposed to the later starters with out the solenoid on top.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=386234&cc=1123041&jsn=580

Starters as they age can begin to drag when hot...

Late model truck starter like I am using.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=474594&cc=1126673&jsn=702

S

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Early style has a solenoid on top of the starter. licensed from GM

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6680456&cc=1139813&jsn=437

As opposed to the later starters with out the solenoid on top.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=386234&cc=1123041&jsn=580

Starters as they age can begin to drag when hot...

Late model truck starter like I am using.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=474594&cc=1126673&jsn=702

S
Well looks like I have the later starter without the selenoid on top which I thought was what the 69 galaxie I have originally came out with and I'm sure it's hasn't been altered etc but at this point who knows. In any event if I went with the later model truck starter like you have (and others have suggested) what is involved in wiring it up? My selenoid is currently up on the passenger inner fender so do I disconnect that and run cable down to the selenoid that is now located on the starter? Granted the old girl doesn't have a computer but i am kinda nervous about messing up my electronics (also I've converted to electronic ignition).
Thanks Madd Porter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bit of an update I did go buy an inexpensive temp gauge at the local auto parts store. The gauge is what they refer to as mechanical (not sure why as it looks more electrical than mechanical to me but whatever). The the sensor part of the gauge is a brass tube about 2" long or there abouts the parts guy said to put it in the block where it contacts the water, does anyone know where typically that should be placed. At my skill level I have no clue and am concerned I'll put it somewhere and hit piston or something. I'll talk with my engine builder about it but thought I would ask here also.
Once again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There should be a port by the thermostat housing that is tapped, drivers side of housing on intake
Thanks norm, the thermostat came with some brass fittings that screw into the tapped port do you know if I need to use some type of pipe thread compound?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for any advice.
Scott.
I have a 460 with headers that are approximately 1/8 of an inch from the stock style starter. I wrapped it with a heat shield and have had no problems. I’d be willing to bet that 1 inch is plenty. As for the starting issue, it sounds to me like you’ve got something else going on there. But I’m no mechanic. Whats you’re compression ratio? Just curious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for any advice.
Scott.
I have a 1969 Lincoln Mark III with a 460 pushing 365HP. I have measured my exhaust temp at the starter to be 450 degrees. I have a heat shield on my starter that sits 1 inch away from exhaust. I get the drag too. LOL Nature of the beasts. My exhaust is 2.5 aluminized factory new. I have a C6. I have a factory gauge that reads correctly after I installed the fan shroud. I have a new radiator as well with the side tanks cross flow. My car runs ok. Burns the tires for a 5 thousand pound land yacht. I think I will name her Tabitha. The witch's daughter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts