460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy's I'm hearing that I have to have my flywheel turned down and a chevy ring gear put on in order to use a 7-1/2" Lakewood clutch can. Where can I get a starter that will have the correct pinion gear with a Ford flange?

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
14 Posts
This isn't a reply to your specific question, but an observation that just might come in handy some day.

Turns out that a WV uses a very similar gear profile as a Chevy. They are opposite rotation, and there are several companies that sell darn stout VW starters. This allows a starter to be mounted with the pinion facing forward.

I utilized one on our test stand, and was a little concerned that the ring gear might need a little bevel on the rear side, as there was one on the front side. It doesn't seem to be an issue, as the starter spins the engine right up, no noise, no problem.

If you need a specific part number and source, I can supply that information.

Danny

·
Registered
575 Posts
I know on mine, I'm using a 390 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. And it could be a starter for an FE motor. It is always a bunch of crap when I need a new starter they always come back with the wrong one at the parts counter a couple of times. I always take the old one with me to match it up. And I never have been able to get a high-torque mini starter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts