460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas - I often see threads with questions about how to start an engine after sitting for a while. I recently did a video of a 302 startup after 20 years of sitting in a '72 Bronco, including details on the step-by-step process.

Hope someone finds it helpful.

Scott

Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
Hat's off to ya and "Project Krusty"!! You did a great job with the short time you spent getting it going!! 馃憤 I recently went through the same type of deal with my 90 LX I named "Cherry Bomb" which has been sitting for at least 10 years that I knew of. I spent an entire summer on it but I had a lot of other things I had to do to it.... Wiring, replace the fuel tank and pump, replace the distributor, among other things... But I finally brought that old 351M back to life! (as of for now!!) You did a really good job laying out the basics for getting one running that's sat for a long time and what to watch for! Thanks for sharing!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hat's off to ya and "Project Krusty"!! You did a great job with the short time you spent getting it going!! 馃憤 I recently went through the same type of deal with my 90 LX I named "Cherry Bomb" which has been sitting for at least 10 years that I knew of. I spent an entire summer on it but I had a lot of other things I had to do to it.... Wiring, replace the fuel tank and pump, replace the distributor, among other things... But I finally brought that old 351M back to life! (as of for now!!) You did a really good job laying out the basics for getting one running that's sat for a long time and what to watch for! Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks, @Werecow. I had a lot of fun getting her going.

351M is an engine that I'm not terribly familiar with - it's a baby 400M, right? Is it completely different that the Cleveland and Windsor motors?

Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
351M is just a 400 with a 1/2 inch shorter stroke, still has the canted valve heads like a Cleveland, but the decks were 1 inch taller.. They were built for truck and large car use, mostly to do the work of a big block in a smaller package, but unfortunately were smogged down and choked to death... Actually with a set of good closed chamber heads, a good intake, cam and a set of headers, these engine's really wake up! Richard Holdner took a junkyard 400 and made over 500 hsprs out of it! Check it out on YouTube! I'm gnna be replacing my 351M with a 460 tho, this was one reason I got the car, the bell housing pattern is the same and it came with the C-6 to match up to both!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts