460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new here and pretty new to big blocks. First things first, I know I’m gonna get ripped for using the Thumpr cam. It’s a poser cam, it’s just for sound, it doesn’t make power until upper rpms, other cams or custom grind would be better, etc etc. I’ve heard it all and it isn’t going to change my mind. It is bought and paid for and this truck is just a toy. I have a drag truck with a 408w in it for the track. Im absolutely not trying to come off as rude but I have been through the ringer about these cams before when I was building a small block. That being said, let’s get into this.
Currently swapping a 460 into my 1980 F100 to make a little fun cruise around truck. Setup is going to be as follows: 460/C6 (from 1986 F250) 2000 stall, TransGo shift kit, Comp Thumpr camshaft kit (comes with lifters, springs, timing set) Weiand stealth intake, Holley mechanical secondary 750, 4.10 gears and Detroit locker. Running duraspark ignition. My question is, without the usual checking that comes with common sense, should I be able to just slip this cam in and torque down the rockers with factory pushrods and not have an issue? The engine is completely stock, 1 owner, all original low miles. No machining, aftermarket pistons, or anything like that. It was pulled when I did a cummins swap and stuck in the barn waiting for this project.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No

You should all ways check for the correct pushrod size.You may have to go to adjustable rockers but don't think so. All ways check to be on the safe side.
Greg

·
Registered
182 Posts
definitely will need adjustable rockers there better anyway and reasonable, oh you will half to figure out your vacuum your brakes may suck that cam makes very little vac 6hg or so i believe it is a 110 lobe center tighter the lobe center the harder it is on vacuum with the increased duration

1 - 3 of 3 Posts