460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this was pretty interesting. A good friend of mine threw this thing together with spare parts at the start of the '08 season to compete on a budget in the points series in the foot-brake class and run on pump gas. He has loaned me the car this winter to play with. (track is open all year here)

466 short block has Eagle H-beam rods, JE flat tops. Comp 292H cam.

Heads are bone-stock D3VE-A2A with fresh valve-job. Zero port work. Stock valves, springs, retainers, and stock sled rockers. Stock pushrods.

Torker II intake with 850 dp Holley no spacer.

Hooker 2" swap headers into 3.5" race bullets.

PG trans. 2900# Foxbody. 4.30 geared 8.8., 28" slicks.

7.13 ET @ 96 mph. Footbrake launch, shifting at 5,500 rpm.

Car went 11.30's (1/4 mile) floating the valves shortly after the 1/8 mile marker. Guessing it will go at least 2 tenths quicker with spring upgrade (which I will be doing in December)

Maybe a tick over 400 h.p. ? dunno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
DAM :!: i love hearing about impressive junker motors, that is awsome :) what is the track altitude?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
WHAT WAS YOUR TRAP RPM WITH THOSE GEARS! IN THE 1/4 AND 1/8 MILE! IF YOU DROP DOWN IN GEAR MYBE 3.27-3.73S AND BETTER SPRINGS THAT THING SHOULD BE A REAL SLEEPER! :shock: :shock: :shock:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,325 Posts
BBBob_M said:
Thought this was pretty interesting. A good friend of mine threw this thing together with spare parts at the start of the '08 season to compete on a budget in the points series in the foot-brake class and run on pump gas. He has loaned me the car this winter to play with. (track is open all year here)

466 short block has Eagle H-beam rods, JE flat tops. Comp 292H cam.

Heads are bone-stock D3VE-A2A with fresh valve-job. Zero port work. Stock valves, springs, retainers, and stock sled rockers. Stock pushrods.

Torker II intake with 850 dp Holley no spacer.

Hooker 2" swap headers into 3.5" race bullets.

PG trans. 2900# Foxbody. 4.30 geared 8.8., 28" slicks.

7.13 ET @ 96 mph. Footbrake launch, shifting at 5,500 rpm.

Car went 11.30's (1/4 mile) floating the valves shortly after the 1/8 mile marker. Guessing it will go at least 2 tenths quicker with spring upgrade (which I will be doing in December)

Maybe a tick over 400 h.p. ? dunno.

nice runs with a little work should go quicker...


Randy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1/8 mile speed is 97. I'll have to dig up a 1/4 mile timeslip, but the trap speed in the 1/4 isn't much better with the 4.30 gears and floating valves.

The gear choice was due to S.A. runs their bracket program as 1/8 mile, and what he had laying around. Head choice was due to wanting to keep the compression down to pump gas levels and avoid paying $8.00 a gallon for fuel.... and again what he had laying around.

Chris and Michelle have two other race cars. One is a 95 with ported D0VE headed 514 running 10.1's. Both of the other Stangs are getting new power this winter, so the only thing this D3 head combo is getting is bolt down roller rockers and new springs. It's a very consistant, reliable race car. Maybe will get some ported D3's and solid-lifter cam in the future, but not this winter. We are going to race it all winter. If the new springs make a significant et reduction in the 1/4, I'll post the numbers.

True... The short-block is not junk-yard parts. Although a freshened junk-yard 460 with D0 heads and a cam upgrade might be almost as quick.

BTW... this short block has run 9's with ported D0VE's and a 200 shot in this car.
 
1

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
cool..sorry if it sounded wrong..but it looks good to me, my new 472 is pretty much junk in the eyes of most people ..stock 460 crank...TRW forged pistons and Hawk-rpm h-beam rods, with ported doves and a victor 460 intake and 1150 dommie with a Herbert roller, pretty cheap motor compared to some of this guys on here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
first off i need to apologize. I dont mean to say that bob's buddy's motor is junk, it was the referall of the d3 unported heads. I have run stock component rebuilds in many of my projects over the years and i love hearing about them. Sometimes the low dollar thrill motors are more impressive than the big buck $ ones. 8) JAY
 
1

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
jm said:
first off i need to apologize. I dont mean to say that bob's buddy's motor is junk, it was the referall of the d3 unported heads. I have run stock component rebuilds in many of my projects over the years and i love hearing about them. Sometimes the low dollar thrill motors are more impressive than the big buck $ ones. 8) JAY
100% agree..thats the way i like it..same as for the big dollar cars..are they nice..of course..big you can tell by looking at them that they will be fast..i like stuff that was built in a 1 car garage late at night , sell scrap metal ..etc to pay for it..or under a tree with stuff you got from salvage..hell yes..
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Lol Welcome to the Junk Yard Wars!

Not sure on the PG and wouldn't run it.. But I bet a C-4 with 3:50 gears would be better..

My opinion..

Hope ya had a good Thanksgiving Bob & Happy Holidays to ya!

Les
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I love this kind of stuff.......you all heard run what you brung,well my motto is run what you can afford . have fun instead of worring about how your going to pay the visa bill. my .02 cdn. :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
238 Posts
BBBob_M said:
Thought this was pretty interesting. A good friend of mine threw this thing together with spare parts at the start of the '08 season to compete on a budget in the points series in the foot-brake class and run on pump gas. He has loaned me the car this winter to play with. (track is open all year here)

466 short block has Eagle H-beam rods, JE flat tops. Comp 292H cam.

Heads are bone-stock D3VE-A2A with fresh valve-job. Zero port work. Stock valves, springs, retainers, and stock sled rockers. Stock pushrods.

Torker II intake with 850 dp Holley no spacer.

Hooker 2" swap headers into 3.5" race bullets.

PG trans. 2900# Foxbody. 4.30 geared 8.8., 28" slicks.

7.13 ET @ 96 mph. Footbrake launch, shifting at 5,500 rpm.

Car went 11.30's (1/4 mile) floating the valves shortly after the 1/8 mile marker. Guessing it will go at least 2 tenths quicker with spring upgrade (which I will be doing in December)

Maybe a tick over 400 h.p. ? dunno.
wow great times and good to hear with those heads. sounds like you got a well set up car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
1997superstang said:
cool..sorry if it sounded wrong..but it looks good to me, my new 472 is pretty much junk in the eyes of most people ..stock 460 crank...TRW forged pistons and Hawk-rpm h-beam rods, with ported doves and a victor 460 intake and 1150 dommie with a Herbert roller, pretty cheap motor compared to some of this guys on here
You aren't alone. I am even cheaper right now than you are. I use anything and everything I possibly can that came from the factory before I fork out for the aftermarket parts.

Just because you use a stock crankshaft doesn't mean its a cheap "junk" build. Heck I will be running D3s and a Isky cam and some others etc. If the parts are in good condition they will work just fine. Unless you decide to go to a higher hp producing engine then you could upgrade to a aftermarket crankshaft. I would rather run a cast crankshaft than a forged piece. Thats just me. Only thing is the Cast will break earlier than a forged from detonation.

I love this kind of stuff.......you all heard run what you brung,well my motto is run what you can afford . have fun instead of worring about how your going to pay the visa bill. my .02 cdn. :lol:
+2 Notch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
need advise

BBBob i have a 429 with same cam same heads steath intake 4.10 gears c-6 trans around 4000 converter car wont do numbers like that without help of a 200 shot. i think my intake gives to much buttom end . car starts to move at about 2700 rpm on foot brake just feel should do little better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
this is encouraging for those of us who can't afford to get our hands on a pair of DOVEs or aftermarket heads :) Im planning on sticking with the D3s for awhile
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top