460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The best 460s we see around here are always in the Great Land Yachts of the late 1960s and into the 1970s [the Lincoln Town Cars and the Mercury Marquises].

However, I'm on a mission to remove as many electronic and electrical components from my vehicles as possible [I don't ever wanna see another "Computer Code" for as long as I live], and I don't want to deal with even so much as the solenoids in an automatic transmission.

So here's the question: Is it reasonable to consider removing the automatic transmission and the power steering from a vintage Land Yacht, and replacing them with an on-the-floor manual transmission and a non-powered steering wheel?

I suppose the entire steering column would have to be replaced, and maybe the suspension would need to be tightened up somehow?

I'm not trying to turn a Land Yacht into a Porsche; I just want to be in charge of the automobile, and I want the automobile to be very "anti-fragile", with as few electrical & electronic components as possible.

Heck, I don't even want powered windows.

If anyone has ever done anything like this, then please tell me how it went and whether it's a realistic goal to try to pursue, or whether it's a fool's errand.

Thanks so much!!!

PS: Also NO PLASTIC. I'm getting to the point where the very sight of plastic is starting to make my skin crawl.

I seem to recall there was some plastic crap which shipped on some of the transmissions designed to hook up with the EFI 460s in the Econoline vans back circa 1990.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
430 Posts
You're gonna need Ahnald's arms if you wanna have standard IE non power steering on one of those land yachts.. That's all I got to say aboot that.. eh?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Anything can be done with time and skill. The power steering isn't electronic, though, and neither is a C6 transmission. They're hydraulic. The only electronic anything on a C6 is the "neutral safety" switch, which can be bypassed. You'll have similar on a manual trans, too, for the clutch. Almost all the barges are going to have power accessories like the windows you mentioned, locks, etc. Be a lot easier for you to buy a bare bones 70s 2wd truck with a 4 speed and swap in your engine of choice if your main concern is a lack of electonics and plastic. You could take off the door panels and dash and make some flat metal parts, get a metal steering wheel.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
So here's the question: Is it reasonable to consider removing the automatic transmission and the power steering from a vintage Land Yacht, and replacing them with an on-the-floor manual transmission and a non-powered steering wheel?

I suppose the entire steering column would have to be replaced, and maybe the suspension would need to be tightened up somehow? …
My knee-jerk reactions are the trans is doable, though will likely need some level of mod or fabrication to install. Check if your chassis of choice ever came in a model with manual stuff. Although, the auto trannies of the day (C4, C6, etc) are simple to build and repair, and quite reliable.

The power steering may be deleted, but it's not the column and rather the steering gear that is the mechanical leverage item. As many vehicles larger and heavier often came with manual steering, it should be doable. Keep in-mind, that after the leverage of a larger steering wheel and greater ratio of a manual gearbox, the suspension geometry and alignment makes the biggest difference in steering effort. IMO, anyone with manual steering should spend some smart money on that with an expert. Night and day.

I'd agree that an older truck may be the easy and effective option to strip automation and non-metal parts, many of which came with manual everything, and were manageable to drive by the Grandma in the family. 16-year-olds of the day had to drive the cheapest base models with manual everything. My son's '66 F-100 steers with two fingers even at parking speeds.

Alternatively, the Flintstones had a fairly simple car. 😆

·
Registered
35 Posts
65 mustang. I've got mustang 2 aftermarket front end. Manual steer manual twin single outlet master brakes manual windows. Even manual wipers. I was going to put a manual trans but the zf5 did not have room for it's z bar and has too big of a snout for a hydraulic donut style slave. So it's a 1970 t bird c6 no wires on that. Easy to drive. I use both hands when making quick turns.

·
Registered
742 Posts
65 mustang. I've got mustang 2 aftermarket front end. Manual steer manual twin single outlet master brakes manual windows. Even manual wipers. I was going to put a manual trans but the zf5 did not have room for it's z bar and has too big of a snout for a hydraulic donut style slave. So it's a 1970 t bird c6 no wires on that. Easy to drive. I use both hands when making quick turns.
Did you perform a trial run to see if the ZF5 was even close to fitting in the Mustangs trans tunnel?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts